TWU Local 100 Strike Against the MTA :10 Years Later

Every transit enthusiasts out there HAS to know this event that happened today a decade ago. The day of the Transit Strike. Please see the video below as well as news articles and Transitpedia.

CBS News-Transit Strike!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nyc-transit-workers-on-strike-19-12-2005/

Wikipedia-2005 New York City Transit Strike!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_New_York_City_transit_strike

I wouldn't have thought about had you not created a topic for it but I do remember it and it was hell.  At that time I was living on Staten Island.  For the first day or so I get up really early and walked all the way to the ferry and then from the ferry all the way to my office in Chelsea.   I think after the first day or so that become OLD really fast and I started getting cabs when they available and some people were even doing the old three or four in the car routine so that they could get into the city.  I was rather skeptical of taking rides from strangers and I think I simply refused a few people that offered.  I skipped out on a company Christmas party because it was simply too much of a schlepp to get from my office down to the West Village, then down to the ferry.  I was scheduled to go on vacation too, so the strike JUST as my vacation was set to begin and it was all smiles after that.  Spent the entire time eating out at restaurants in Midtown and shopping at the Garden State Plaza.  Gotta love that tax free shopping.  :D  :lol:

I wouldn't have thought about had you not created a topic for it but I do remember it and it was hell.  At that time I was living on Staten Island.  For the first day or so I get up really early and walked all the way to the ferry and then from the ferry all the way to my office in Chelsea.   I think after the first day or so that become OLD really fast and I started getting cabs when they available and some people were even doing the old three or four in the car routine so that they could get into the city.  I was rather skeptical of taking rides from strangers and I think I simply refused a few people that offered.  I skipped out on a company Christmas party because it was simply too much of a schlepp to get from my office down to the West Village, then down to the ferry.  I was scheduled to go on vacation too, so the strike JUST as my vacation was set to begin and it was all smiles after that.  Spent the entire time eating out at restaurants in Midtown and shopping at the Garden State Plaza.  Gotta love that tax free shopping.  :D  :lol:

Wow. That's insane what a transportation system shutdown can do to people. I remembered this very well from grade school and that's what inspired me to do a coverage on this event. Nice of you to share that story.

Archived