ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From anyones personal experience who’s in schoolcar or already went through schoolcar what would you’ll recommend to bring and have on a daily basis ? Weather it’s a notebook to take notes certain kind of bag to carry etc anything 180 don’t tell us to bring ?? Thank you in advance 

I was called last year for pre-employment screening, I could not proceed forward because of tickets on my license. I finally got them resolved, via through email, was told I had to have my name restored back to the list. I went to the DCAS and got my name restored. Trying to reschedule my appointment through email and phone but to no avail. My list number was 19xx, any suggestions on how I can get another appointment? 

2 minutes ago, 55Bishop55 said:

I was called last year for pre-employment screening, I could not proceed forward because of tickets on my license. I finally got them resolved, via through email, was told I had to have my name restored back to the list. I went to the DCAS and got my name restored. Trying to reschedule my appointment through email and phone but to no avail. My list number was 19xx, any suggestions on how I can get another appointment? 

If you just reinstated, you're just going to have to wait until they certify a new list to pull candidates from.

36 minutes ago, TCart said:

From anyones personal experience who’s in schoolcar or already went through schoolcar what would you’ll recommend to bring and have on a daily basis ? Weather it’s a notebook to take notes certain kind of bag to carry etc anything 180 don’t tell us to bring ?? Thank you in advance 

Ear muffs to protect your hearing. When the older equipment go brakes in emergency, it is loud in the cab. Also have a water bottle on hand. It's getting cooler, but keep yourself hydrated.

2 hours ago, TCart said:

I bring water or a drink a snack some gum because sometimes you’re on the train for a long time. HAND SANITIZER is a must i also bring Clorox wipes. Definitely have a notebook and pen pen is part of your uniform. The book bag they suggest is a KAKA pretty decent bag it will be heavy because you’ll be carrying your books and tools everyday. Oh and bring a folder they give out bulletins that u may want to keep it might come in handy. Buy a badge holder for your track safety card and pass (which will be your ID) and you must have everyday otherwise u can’t work.

10 hours ago, TCart said:

As others have mentioned, the Kaka bag is the default option since it can hold nearly everything and it's not absurdly expensive. Notebook, writing tools, but rather soon, index cards and markers/crayons for when you start memorizing signals. 

Otherwise, in a more immediate sense, a Zojirushi thermos is perfect for holding cold water even in hot class rooms (or tea in cold rooms). Once you're on your own, I'd suggest writing down car numbers of the trains that you operate which some keep in a log book. For filling out late clear slips, I suggest Pilot Frixxon pens as they're erasable pens so it's easy to correct a mistake when you're filling out something. 

And save some money during schoolcar by bringing lunch and snacks from home every so often. It's a good way to keep your weight and maintain good healthy eating habits. 

Honestly, the best thing to do right now is to tie up any loose ends now before schoolcar starts, so that way you have minimal distractions. Stay safe, enjoy this free time, and be ready. :-)

9 hours ago, TCart said:

@Keikyu Motorman very very helpful thank you so much I appreciate that 

No problem. :-)

I forgot to note that you should buy a watch. No Apple Watches or any other fancy smartwatches given that they're considered electronic devices that can cause "distractions". Yes, you'll see many of us with them in the crew room and on the road, but schoolcar is a magical place where certain rules are stressed. An inexpensive watch is best for now, so save up your money for the G-Shocks (or anything really crazy and expensive) for once you're done with probation. :-)

32 minutes ago, TCart said:

@Keikyu Motorman & you recommend a watch because ? Just need to know why a watch would be important during schoolcar lol 

A watch is part of your uniform if you donot have a watch on you’re considered unprepared. Also when you’re operating u can not look at or take your phone out big no no and there’s no time displayed in your operating cab unless you’re on new tech trains. You need to be able to know what time it is right :)

1 hour ago, TCart said:

@Keikyu Motorman yu are absolutely right hey look I appreciate all of the advice man and I’m taking it all in and getting everything. Idc if I’m over prepared. So question a cheap watch from Amazon would work ? Something like $30-$40 bucks ? 

I bought a cheap Armitron watch for $20 at Walmart, so anything in that price range will do. :-)

3 hours ago, TCart said:

@Keikyu Motorman yu are absolutely right hey look I appreciate all of the advice man and I’m taking it all in and getting everything. Idc if I’m over prepared. So question a cheap watch from Amazon would work ? Something like $30-$40 bucks ? 

You just need a watch that tells you what time it is that's it. 40$ seems like a lot for that! Don't get any sort of smart watch cuz that's not allowed

17 hours ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

No problem. :-)

I forgot to note that you should buy a watch. No Apple Watches or any other fancy smartwatches given that they're considered electronic devices that can cause "distractions". Yes, you'll see many of us with them in the crew room and on the road, but schoolcar is a magical place where certain rules are stressed. An inexpensive watch is best for now, so save up your money for the G-Shocks (or anything really crazy and expensive) for once you're done with probation. :-)

You dont get in trouble on the road if a higher up sees you with a smart watch?

On 9/23/2022 at 7:50 PM, Jericho said:

If you just reinstated, you're just going to have to wait until they certify a new list to pull candidates from.

Ear muffs to protect your hearing. When the older equipment go brakes in emergency, it is loud in the cab. Also have a water bottle on hand. It's getting cooler, but keep yourself hydrated.

For ear muffs any particular kind that youd recommend? Where can we get gloves for when we are driving the trains?