BREAKING: Governor Declares MTA State of Emergency

Future ENY OP

All good points.  We may love the subways, but those who don't rely on it don't necessary care the way we do. 

You have to keep in mind that

1. The problem was bad in the past, but it's spiraled out of control only within the last few years

2. Local journalism is slowly dying. NYT pivoted to more national news, NYDN and the Post are struggling, the tiny local newspapers are all folding.

3. Editor bias. Most newspaper staff tend to be better educated, and thus rely less on the transit system, or live and work in neighborhoods where the subway is nicer (there's a night and day difference between Broadway Lafayette and ENY). If it doesn't affect them, they see less of a need to report it.

Kenneth Lovett writing in today's Daily News has the emperor Cuomo blaming the lack of funding on the Pataki administration when nothing was given to the MTA for capital improvements. As one who worked under Pataki  (and who despises him) and  who fortunately retired before the emperor took over), the Pataki administration was just as bad if not worse than Cuomo (Remember the picture of Al taking George by the hand right after he was nominated by the Republican party in 1994) in terms of funding and the way  that administration was run, it made Silent Cal Coolidge look like a non-stop talker.

The truth of the matter is we all know about the past but what is your solution, governor? One of my first supervisors taught me something when he wrote to  my then supervisor  "tell him not to send me problems but solutions" which served as my guidepost throughout my career.. The thing is that it works when you have someone who will listen and not keep trying to dictate to a public that is fed up.  I do not want to hear that another commission was created to examine the problem or to blame others for a mess that you helped exacerbate by following past practices. Politics today is to blame someone else and it is not their fault as they inherited it. The public is disgusted with this type of behavior. The public wants to know how will it have a regular commute each and every day, not prone to delays but you and your comrades are only looking at the next election. The issue is that you  and the mayor have no solution and are hoping that  that the public will forget about the issue before the next election so that both of you will get re-elected and do nothing with transit until the next time there is an election. . 

Archived