Can Long Island Bus and Suffolk County Transit Operate Double-Decker Buses?

FamousNYLover

Here in North Babylon, the wire is just too low to take a double decker bus.

the one point i made, its like that almost all over suffolk.

another thing i forgot, the north shore has alot of hills. how do u think a double decker would fair going up and down hills?

the one point i made, its like that almost all over suffolk.

another thing i forgot, the north shore has alot of hills. how do u think a double decker would fair going up and down hills?

If hong kong can do it w/ hills ny can.

- A

wouldn't matter really, u step on the gas going down and u'll go so fast that u may not be able to stop at the end. and the other is u don't hit they gas to get going as soon as u let go of the break, u may find urself rolling back down it.

wouldn't matter really, u step on the gas going down and u'll go so fast that u may not be able to stop at the end. and the other is u don't hit they gas to get going as soon as u let go of the break, u may find urself rolling back down it.

I know for a fact that these buses can work on LI, they got a good engine good transmission the reliable clutching they have can keep them from rolling. I mean it's not really a huge mystery to me if it would work it's more about if they would spend the money for the buses themselves. If they can get wind turbine parts under the wires and construction trailers...... There's no way wires are lower than 14 feet that just wouldn't be safe. Most clearances are 13 to 14 feet because even if the double deck buses never ever rolled down those streets other tall vehicles may have to.

- A

I know for a fact that these buses can work on LI, they got a good engine good transmission the reliable clutching they have can keep them from rolling. I mean it's not really a huge mystery to me if it would work it's more about if they would spend the money for the buses themselves. If they can get wind turbine parts under the wires and construction trailers...... There's no way wires are lower than 14 feet that just wouldn't be safe. Most clearances are 13 to 14 feet because even if the double deck buses never ever rolled down those streets other tall vehicles may have to.

- A

i'd say they are close to 12 feet give or take (i've sat on school buses that make u feel higher up theny u actully are and those wires are close to the buses). u are also forgetting about low branches. but u do know that train bridges have clearences lower then 12 feet.

u think they would work fine, but i on the other think they won't. facts don't mean anything or at least to me, i don't believe in facts i believe that u only truely know about something if you've done it, seen it. i've walked up and down most of the hills in Port Jefferson and know deep down that they will not work. and if the buses that SCT run now came with all that stuff when they brought them and they still do what i said they do when on that one hill, then i highly doubt that a double decker bus will fare the same. or by the way they wouldn't/couldn't make it though Port Jefferson Villiage, they have a traffic light on West Broadway and Main Street that's about 12 Feet or less.

They wouldn't go where the clearances are too low. There were a few cities that raised their wires etc so if they did plan to get the taller models i think they would (A). keep them on routes that have 14 foot clearance even if some routes were slightly changed, or (:). raise wires its not that hard to do utilities do it all the time.

But all this is based on them doing it. If the city doesnt get them you can forget it. If they do, you should keep an eye out.

I've been to port washington port jefferson amityville great neck all over long island. Some routes would be fine, others obviously not. ;)

- A

They wouldn't go where the clearances are too low. There were a few cities that raised their wires etc so if they did plan to get the taller models i think they would (A). keep them on routes that have 14 foot clearance even if some routes were slightly changed, or (:). raise wires its not that hard to do utilities do it all the time.

But all this is based on them doing it. If the city doesnt get them you can forget it. If they do, you should keep an eye out.

I've been to port washington port jefferson amityville great neck all over long island. Some routes would be fine, others obviously not. ;)

- A

Port Jefferson is a villiage so it would be up to them weather they would want to raise their wires. and if the city gets them doesn't mean that Suffolk will, i mean Suffolk has Gilliga and the city doesn't. and u can't go changeing routes just because u want buses that don't fit one way. whats the turning radius anyway on those double decker, if it a greater amount then the buses they have now then there is no way they will come to Suffolk.

They are the same as MCI 3 axle as far as turning. They aren't even 40 if memory serves. The only issue is obviously the height. Raising wires and such makes a lot of sense going into the future with light rail options looking like they might be deployed within the next 10-15 years. The EMU cars aren't that tall but their wiring would necessitate all the other wires being raised to avoid bad stuff happening;).

- A

Archived