SBS B82 just undoable

mrbrklyn

2 hours ago, Kanarsie Guy said:

Don’t know where these number come from but most of us don’t take the 82 to CI.

of course not.  But don't worry.  When people don't do what the MTA wants, they punish them.  Next time ridership goes down on the B82 they are taking away the Q train.    That will make you take their damn bus.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, mrbrklyn said:

In fact, the B82 and the B6 haven't suffered from any real loss in ridership, but the B41 has.  So instead of fixing the B41, they decide to destroy the business centers in Midwood.

On 5/5/2018 at 10:00 AM, mrbrklyn said:

First, we don't need mass transit on every corridor.  Secondly, the subway needs a major expansion and has needed it for a long time, but that is another discussion for another thread.  Everyone driving is a good choice, especially with the coming transportation revolution with driverless cars, and AI.  Uber is eating the MTA's lunch and that is only a minor transportation improvement compared to what is coming over the next ten years.

Buses, not cars, is the biggest cause of congestion.  I single bus with 40 people on it (which is a disaster for those 40 people), will block and slowdown 2000 cars trying to get around it.

Buses should be reserved as the last choice, and they are good only for low cost travel (individuals being transported on limited routes without substantial freight and which can afford a long time to finish a trip).

I also think the B82 SBS as designed is a poor idea. I also think there is no need for a B82 from Coney Island to Starrett City. The route needs to be split with overlap to improve reliability. But there is a need for a Cross Brooklyn SBS to allow for trips that cannot be made now by bus with the route extended to Gateway and JFK. I also think Avenue P needs to get considered. But the problem with congestion on Kings Highway isn't as simple as moving the bus to Avenue P which has its own severe congestion problems. Have you ever driven on it during the evening rush hour between Ocean Parkway and Ocean Avenue? It takes 15 minutes. Kings Highway is slightly worse taking 15 minutes between Coney Island Avenue and Ocean Avenue. 

Having said all that, I think your comments here are doing more harm than good in stopping the B82 SBS. 

Yes the subway needs a major expansion, but that's not happening. 

Everyone driving us a poor choice. That's was what Robert Moses thought and he was also wrong. 

People are using Uber because of bus shortcomings. Those shortcomings need to be corrected which is not saying we need SBS.

Buses are not the biggest cause of congestion and should not be abandoned. 

Buses should not be someone's last choice. 

Archived