New subway system?

This is an idea I came up with a bit ago and the idea's pretty simple: Build a competing system with the MTA's NYCT. Reason being, I think a lot of you have seen what happens in Japan with all those competing companies (15 or something) so this might help both systems and take advantage of newer, cheaper technology faster, serve transit deserts without breaking the MTA's bank, and it can help isolated subway lines. Out of the transit system, you've got thousands- maybe millions- of new jobs, and it takes cars off the road, helping the enviroment. I'd have built as part of an agency like the Port Authority so it won't go bankrupt *that* easily.

What are your thoughts? Agree or disagree? Suggestions?  

You seem young and not terribly well versed in history. I would read up on the IND (which, basically, was exactly what you are proposing) and learn what that did to New York. Then you should understand just how in advisable this idea is.

I also find the idea that the PA has some massive free cash flow and significantly lower construction costs pretty laughable. If there’s an agency more steeped in tri-state bureaucratic paralysis than the MTA, it’s the PA.  

Density in Asia is an order of magnitude higher than in the US, even in NYC. In Japan, the private railroad companies (including JR) own air rights so they invest heavily into commercial real estate around their train stations. In fact, many of the subway lines have become underground extensions of traditional commuter rail lines across the CBD, and the companies are okay with that because it promotes further commercial development and traffic.

A new subway system would be something like the RER: through service at Penn Station, a Secaucus / Bergenline / Penn / GCT regional rail line, a new regional rail line between Atlantic Ave and GCT / Hoboken via Fulton St, just to name a few. Get the commuter rail riders off the subway and the congestion will improve significantly.

On 7/20/2018 at 3:18 PM, Caelestor said:

A new subway system would be something like the RER: through service at Penn Station, a Secaucus / Bergenline / Penn / GCT regional rail line, a new regional rail line between Atlantic Ave and GCT / Hoboken via Fulton St, just to name a few. Get the commuter rail riders off the subway and the congestion will improve significantly.

I was thinking something like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, if I had a couple of trillion dollars that I didn't want any kind of return on I'd probably build most of the things I've suggested in the various proposal threads with it and figure out who I needed to buy off/bribe/etc. to get it done in 15-20 years, but I wouldn't expect to make any money off of it. Making money off the trains here would be highly unlikely and would be really unlikely. 

Archived