Service Cuts

RR503

Just now, RailRunRob said:

🤦‍♂️ (Man)  So what's the plan put the report out with the hopes someone wires the money to cover the cuts?

I wish... No idea what is on the chopping block as I haven't been able to get confirmation from any of my contacts. As I said even if you had congestion pricing come in, the way that these cuts are scheduled for 2019 on both the bus and subway, it doesn't appear that it will matter.  Simply doesn't look like there's enough time, but who knows.  We'll have to wait and see. From the politicians I've spoken with there seems to be whispers that congestion pricing may make it through come 2019 once things are up and running in the political world.  Last night the platform at Grand Central was so packed that I thought someone would fall off and on to the tracks. I was able to pack on a (6) train after letting one go and we left tons of people on the platform.  Can't see this as the new norm... And this was with "Good Service" posted...

1 minute ago, CTK246 said:

Cuomo would sooner let someone die on the subway then try to do his job. Not on purpose, of course, but I feel it’s inevitable. And I’m 100% serious here. It’s only a matter of time before a life is lost on the subway that could have been prevented.

A life lost from what?

Cuomo would sooner let someone die on the subway then try to do his job. Not on purpose, of course, but I feel it’s inevitable. And I’m 100% serious here. It’s only a matter of time before a life is lost on the subway that could have been prevented.

Very true you have a point there. But even in a Capitalistic language something any Politician should understand doing nothing doesn't make much sense economically or politically. If you could bail out ski resorts on MTA funds why couldn't move some money around for the MTA this time around? It's not like your not going to recoup the money in some form. A heck of a lot more than a seasonal industry in the middle of nowhere. 

8 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I wish... No idea what is on the chopping block as I haven't been able to get confirmation from any of my contacts. As I said even if you had congestion pricing come in, the way that these cuts are scheduled for 2019 on both the bus and subway, it doesn't appear that it will matter. 

Indeed. There's inside talk of another possible funding form that could pass sometime next year or 2020. Im sure you know what that is. Ask Massachusetts or Colorado if you don't. I just hope if that does become reality that a % is earmarked for Transit and nothing else.  Not big into that culture but hey we'll take it.

16 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

A life lost from what?

Remember that R46 (or 68?) that stalled in the summer? The AC was broken and it was literally steaming up in there. People were trying to pry the doors open. Someone easily could’ve died of heat exhaustion or heart attack. Not to mention a serious derailment could cause some casualties.

12 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

Very true you have a point there. But even in a Capitalistic language something any Politician should understand doing nothing doesn't make much sense economically or politically. If you could bail out ski resorts on MTA funds why couldn't move some money around for the MTA this time around? It's not like your not going to recoup the money in some form. A heck of a lot more than a seasonal industry in the middle of nowhere. 

The NY Democratic machine is strong. No matter who challenges Cuomo, he’s going to cruise to re-election every time.

Just now, CTK246 said:

Remember that R46 (or 68?) that stalled in the summer? The AC was broken and it was literally steaming up in there. People were trying to pry the doors open. Someone easily could’ve died of heat exhaustion or heart attack. Not to mention a serious derailment could cause some casualties.

Or just things like overcrowding on stations with service cuts.

2 minutes ago, CTK246 said:

Oh yes I do remember that fiasco... HORRIBLE. In fact I think I was stuck at that same station some months later trying to get to a meeting one evening and had to bolt and run upstairs and get a cab.  You can't make this stuff up.  The platform was PACKED and two trains came in about 45 minutes with no chance of most of us getting on.

The NY Democratic machine is strong. No matter who challenges Cuomo, he’s going to cruise to re-election every time.

No matter the political affiliation people love money. Bloomberg seemed to understand this best.

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

A life lost from what?

DC Metro had someone die from smoke inhalation due to a track fire.

There was that incident where a drill from East Side Access made it through the roof of an F train. I'm surprised no one died from that, quite frankly.

On 12/3/2018 at 5:42 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Probably means that the (B) and (W) might stop running earlier (~8:30), as they have mostly have been. The (M) might stop running on 6th Avenue and Queens Boulevard after about 8:30 or so.

Technically this pretty much already happens with the (M) . Most weeks the (M) service ends around 8:30/9pm due to endless construction. Last week the (M) ran late like normal but literally just for a week. This week it’s back to service ending early. There is literally only a handful of times in a year where the (M) runs late on Queens Blvd which is so misleading tbh. So I guess at this point it would only make sense to make ending service early official since they do it almost every week anyways. Hopefully this doesn’t lead to them ending service even earlier like at 7 or 7:30pm for construction. 

Archived