Becoming a Train Dispatcher

Kelani

HI all,

I've been researching MTA Jobs and so far the only one that seems to appeal to me is that of the train dispatcher. Unfortunately, it seems like the job (even the assistant train dispatcher role) is not available to non-MTA employees.

So i'm just wondering how anyone who's not a current employee might get the job, if they would have to be a train operator first and then try to get promoted to the asst dispatcher role
or if anyone can apply. If the latter is the case, could anyone please provide advice on how to go about that? What to study for the test, and if possible an account of the day to day operations of the job. 

Thanks a lot in advance, 

PS: This is the job role i am interested in:

RCC Console Train Dispatcher (Rail Traffic Controller) - 92676
Department: Rcc Operating Theater | Location: Manhattan - Uptown | Business Unit: New York City Transit | Posted Date: 03/13/2018

https://hcm.mymta.info/psc/HCPRD/SELFSERVICE/HXMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_SCHJOB&Action=U&TargetFrameName=None

19 minutes ago, Kelani said:

HI all,

I've been researching MTA Jobs and so far the only one that seems to appeal to me is that of the train dispatcher. Unfortunately, it seems like the job (even the assistant train dispatcher role) is not available to non-MTA employees.

So i'm just wondering how anyone who's not a current employee might get the job, if they would have to be a train operator first and then try to get promoted to the asst dispatcher role
or if anyone can apply. If the latter is the case, could anyone please provide advice on how to go about that? What to study for the test, and if possible an account of the day to day operations of the job. 

Thanks a lot in advance, 

PS: This is the job role i am interested in:

RCC Console Train Dispatcher (Rail Traffic Controller) - 92676
Department: Rcc Operating Theater | Location: Manhattan - Uptown | Business Unit: New York City Transit | Posted Date: 03/13/2018

https://hcm.mymta.info/psc/HCPRD/SELFSERVICE/HXMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_SCHJOB&Action=U&TargetFrameName=None

80% of the positions into supervisory/management roles are promotional  titles. Just like any other civil services positions, you have to start from the bottom and once you meet the years of service, you will be eligible to take the promotional exam.

The only position that doesn’t require promotional exam, is upper management such as Superintendents, General managers and so on. These titles requires a resume and they are also position based on experience or previous high managerial roles within the criteria. 

For example in order to become a Bus dispatcher, you must be an bus operator for 3 years in order to take the promotional exam into a Supervisory (dispatcher) role. To become Surface Superintendent, you must have years of experience first as a dispatcher in order to be considered moving on up. 

Any questions you can PM me.

11 hours ago, Kelani said:

All supervisory positions are promotional only. They currently, and as far as I know, have never offered those titles to the public.

Assistant Train Dispatchers(ATD) promote from Conductor, Station Agent and Collecting Agent.

Train Dispatchers(TD) promote from Train Operator, Tower Operator and Assistant Train Dispatcher.

Console Train Dispatchers, the job in question, is not a civil service title. It's a resume-based position that only ATDs, TDs and Train Service Supervisors can apply for if they want to work at the Rail Control Center.

Edited by Tricknologist

• 5 months later...

Good afternoon colleagues, 

Does anyone have access to extensive and detailed study material for the ATD exam. As a station agent I'm at a disadvantage with the terminology and signal knowledge required for the exam. We just don't have the same access and exposure to info as conductors. Is there an unknown online resource, PDF, or Google drive link to access ATD study material? Any info would be much appreciated. 

3 hours ago, vcdemone2k said:

Good afternoon colleagues, 

Does anyone have access to extensive and detailed study material for the ATD exam. As a station agent I'm at a disadvantage with the terminology and signal knowledge required for the exam. We just don't have the same access and exposure to info as conductors. Is there an unknown online resource, PDF, or Google drive link to access ATD study material? Any info would be much appreciated. 

I’m a conductor that plans on applying for the exam too, and every ATD, TD, TSS I’ve spoken too all tell me the same thing. Study the rule book and bulletins. You can try joining some RTO groups on fb for more detailed information. 

• 6 months later...