2 Questions Regarding Bus Operators

Kenstyles

Hi All,

Forgive me if this is the wrong section but I have a couple questions regarding B/O's

1. I'm a current school bus driver and wanted to know if B/O have a split shift like school bus drivers (4 hours on, 4 hour break, 4 hours on, 12 hours off  - back to 4 on, 4 off, 4 on)?

I know for new drivers weekends and nights are gonna be most of the time we work.

2. When the job posting states drivers start at $2x.xx per hour and then will be $3x.xx after 6 years....

Does that mean the pay stays the same for 5 years and then jumps at the 6th year?

Or does that mean the pay gradually moves up a couple buck per hour, every year?

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Kenstyles said:

2. When the job posting states drivers start at $2x.xx per hour and then will be $3x.xx after 6 years....

Does that mean the pay stays the same for 5 years and then jumps at the 6th year?

Or does that mean the pay gradually moves up a couple buck per hour, every year?

On this one, under a union contract, your wages increase after set periods of time - typically called steps or a synonymous term.

So you could start at the entry wage, then have an increase after probation ends, then have a date in the contract when the new wages go into effect across the board (in my union in California, it was usually Oct 5), then on your anniversary date, you get another one, and so on until at year 6, you’re at that wage they mentioned in the posting.

Depending on the contract, that could be the top step wage for people who met that milestone, and every wage increase isn’t laid out in a per hour format, but rather in a similar percentage increase as people aging into the 6-year level (i.e. if the bump from year 5 to year 6 is 2%, the contract could give you that 2% as well on that across the board date).

Dunno if it’s publicly available, but if it is, see if you can get a copy of the contract for each (MTA)  driver’s union to see what the wages and other rules look like.

1. It depends on the work you can pick. Majority of the time, you'll be picking straight stuff. You'll do your 8 hours (or so) and go home. However, you can wind up working a split shift if you're doing vacation relief or the extra board.

You'll definitely have your days off during the week but that can change depending on which depot you work out of and the work you're willing to pick to get weekends off. 

2. You'll start at the starting wage from the first day at Zerega. Wage progression is every year on your anniversary date until top pay. It's 6 full years (counting your 'Zero' year) at 5%. (I'll double check the %) Your rate will be adjusted of course when new work contracts with pay raises go in effect.