Mott Haven Mosaics Unveiled

Lance

As part of the renovation work being done at the 138 St-Grand Concourse station, the wall tiles and name plates have been recently removed, unveiling the long-obscured original name tiles behind those AG name signs.

https://forgotten-ny.com/2019/11/138th-street-station-mott-haven/

I never even thought there would be mosaics with 138th Street written out given the MH ceiling mosaics and the fact it was named for the area and the old NYC railroad station.

While the Mott Haven tiling may be too far gone to save/preserve, the longform mosaics are in good enough condition to fix. According to a Redditor, there's a "do not touch" sign next to the 138th Street mosaics, so there may be a chance there.

Whoa–here's hoping they save those, cause they're great pieces of history. I wonder if the pillar mosaics are also preserved, though unfortunately those were already covered with new signs. I've gotta make a trip there. Only shame will be losing the early-1980s Akzidenz porcelain signs, which made this one of the last stations to have a full set of Akzidenz pillar/wall signs.