Former NJT comets have hit the rails

Bustitution

I got word today that the former NJT comets handed down to SEPTA have now entered service. This consist will be running in one train being hauled by 2307 on the Great Valley Flyer tomorrow. During the weekday hours from 8:15am to 4:20ish pm, the Great Valley Flyer lays over at Fern Rock station on track 0. I have a view of Fern Rock Station from my bedroom window, so I can see what ever goes on.

Tomorrow after school I will make a stop over to Fern Rock and Video and Pic the new (or old) units in service.

Thanks NJT! (NJT)

Here are picture's from today at Fern Rock. 2461, 2590, 2591, 2592, 2593, 2594, and 2595 are all in one consist.

FERNROCK046.jpg

FERNROCK048.jpg

FERNROCK051.jpg

FERNROCK039.jpg

FERNROCK041.jpg

FERNROCK044.jpg

FERNROCK019.jpg

FERNROCK021.jpg

FERNROCK031.jpg

FERNROCK027.jpg

FERNROCK005.jpg

FERNROCK013.jpg

2307.jpg

2590-2.jpg

2590.jpg

2461-3.jpg

Being up close to these units they have lots of dents and scratches in them and you can notice them from 30 feet away!

Sorry no video.

Septa is that cheap they have to buy Comet Is? Not even a few Comet III's but Comet Is? WTH? Septa, buy you own damn cars!

They are only used during peak hours and are a temporary measure till $ comes in for new push/pull rolling stock which should be 2010. They are about to take delivery of new EMU as well, so one thing at a time for a sadly under-funded transit agency.

- A

They are only used during peak hours and are a temporary measure till $ comes in for new push/pull rolling stock which should be 2010. They are about to take delivery of new EMU as well, so one thing at a time for a sadly under-funded transit agency.

- A

I don't want to be mean but SEPTA is not under funded (anymore). Do you know the amount of ads septa is placing on vehicles and property? If I am not mistaken SEPTA recently wrapped the interior of or kawasaki B-IV cars and full wrapped the exterior of a AdTranz M-4 car.

Oh and all push an pull sets will be be replaced by EMU sets

Septa needs Push-Push for premium express service like the R3, R5, R7, and R8. Otherwise if EMUs do express service it's MDBF would drop. EMUs a built for constant stopping, not for straight service. That's why Amtrak's Mertoliners didn't last long.

All I know is that SEPTA is getting all EMU sets, and push and pulls are NOT operated on the R8.

R8 has been multiple unit of some sort since its inception decades ago.

Septa is not replacing any of its push/pull fleet with EMU, just retiring the PRR era budd cars and the older arrow cars. You can tell them apart by the long strip of metal over the windows which used to carry the PENNSYLVANIA name across it.

New push/pull cars will be bought from NJT and new starting 2010.

As for rail funding... MTA rail budget is somthing like 40 times the amount. Septa has trolly, subway, regional rail, ad a dedicated high speed rail line, not just busses as some people think. If it got more it would expand & increase service.

- A

R8 has been multiple unit of some sort since its inception decades ago.

Septa is not replacing any of its push/pull fleet with EMU, just retiring the PRR era budd cars and the older arrow cars. You can tell them apart by the long strip of metal over the windows which used to carry the PENNSYLVANIA name across it.

New push/pull cars will be bought from NJT and new starting 2010.

As for rail funding... MTA rail budget is somthing like 40 times the amount. Septa has trolly, subway, regional rail, ad a dedicated high speed rail line, not just busses as some people think. If it got more it would expand & increase service.

- A

You do got a point, I don't understand why septa can't buy new Comet cars and ALP-46's for the locos.

Septa and NJT have different specs for railcars

You do got a point, I don't understand why septa can't buy new Comet cars and ALP-46's for the locos.

Septa and NJT have different specs for railcars

The push/pulls are only used on peak hour trains, the rest of the time they sit in yard or at stations. ALP-46 are high speed inter-city locomotives, they are a bit too beefy for septa's use. The ALP-45 is more along septa's ticket, and would enable effortless re-activation of lines that have partial electrication.

Conrail or reading (forget which) operated trains between new hope and philadelphia, as well as newtown and philly. If you could have trains turn in a U shape vs run end to end on their line R7 only turns into R3 to R7 via wayne junction. Also R8 to R3 and R7. The fear that people have about rural areas being built up wouldn't be that much of an issue as long as the townships and the state and septa had agreements to keep stuff the way it is within reason while expanding and increasing rail service.

Another option that will open itself at some point is service from nyc through to philly via the lackawanna cutoff. The lines will have to be rebuilt, and the freight tracks upgraded and separated to meet or exceed FRA standards for passenger only service without interruption of freight traffic.

Then going farther into the future you could extend lines from philly up to state college and up into erie. Once the dual mode loco's prove themselves all of these extensions & expansions would work, even with partial electrification to extend the range. Give NJ and PA control of services with 60/40 funding 40% transit 60% state.

Rebuilding the wye network in ny, nj, and pa would also help.

Mybe after a while someone will get the hint and get service going in ohio and farther west and also south into virginia, wv, etc.

- A

Those NJT hand me downs are probably the best Regional Rail trains SEPTA has.

All of the rolling stock septa has ever used as far as i know were reading, pennsylvania, CRRNJ, DL&W, or NJT/NJDOT at some point. They have nothing bought new as far as i know aside from the one alp-44 and seven aem-7 loco's and 40 comet 2 and 4 push/pulls. The majority of their stuff is EMU of which they have 304 most of which is from reading railroad, the older stuff as i said before is from PRR.

The stuff from the other railroads has been retired, such as the RDC, which ended use when conrail ended. :)

- A

Archived