Metro North Coach Cleaner

HardWorkin

There isn’t much information about this job on the forum but I hope someone can shed some light .

i took my exam for MNR coach cleaner on Friday , I was notified today I passed. I’m excited ! However the pay has got me a little uneasy , but I’m willing to take the pay cut if it’s worth it . I don’t understand the bidding and bumping protocol, I heard they pay weekly for this position, 
can anyone share their experience in this role,  how fast can you get into another position? perks? Any information will be appreciated,

thanks in advance 

Bidding and bumping sucks especially when your new but as you gain seniority it shouldn't affect you as much. Basically if someone gets bumped or displaced from there job and you are under them in seniority they can technically bump your or displace you from your job. I'll give you an example

I have a morning shift 7-3 with Saturday Sunday being my off days. Bill just got bumped and has more seniority then me, he then bumps me now I have to make a bump and hope someone under me has a morning shift and Saturday Sunday off or else I'm taking the next best thing whatever that is.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2021 at 8:13 PM, Thinklikeamango said:

Bidding and bumping sucks especially when your new but as you gain seniority it shouldn't affect you as much. Basically if someone gets bumped or displaced from there job and you are under them in seniority they can technically bump your or displace you from your job. I'll give you an example

I have a morning shift 7-3 with Saturday Sunday being my off days. Bill just got bumped and has more seniority then me, he then bumps me now I have to make a bump and hope someone under me has a morning shift and Saturday Sunday off or else I'm taking the next best thing whatever that is.

Wow sounds very inconvenient, That leaves little room to plan accordingly.

what is the differential like? If any at all,

and when does it start , stop? 
what is your current position with metro north , and how do you like the company? 

I also read that coach cleaners can only advance to positions within their union, so for coach cleaners I believe it’s TWU 100 , what would be some jobs I could potential move up to ? I know ticket clerk is out I know there are represented by TCU.

im sorry for all the questions .I’ve been waiting for a knock On my door from the mta for a long time. Thank you for your response and I wish you a prosperous NEW YEAR . 

Yeah it's very inconvenient especially when you're new but that's how it is. I'm a custodian at grand central our union dosent give us night differential but coach cleaners union might be different. Coach cleaners can move to car repairman or car inspector. Love working here the pay is great the benefits are great.

8 hours ago, Thinklikeamango said:

Yeah it's very inconvenient especially when you're new but that's how it is. I'm a custodian at grand central our union dosent give us night differential but coach cleaners union might be different. Coach cleaners can move to car repairman or car inspector. Love working here the pay is great the benefits are great.

Thank you so much for your answers, finding info on Metro North is so hard. If everything goes well I will be leaving healthcare (dietary aide) for this job . I will be employed at my current job for 4 yrs this year and it is union(1199), this would be a big decision for me as I will be taking a $2.30 pay drop which is not a problem if working for MTA metro north is worth it , healthcare isn’t my passion so leaving for a BETTER opportunity wouldn’t bother me . Once again thank you for taking the time out to respond, and if I make it past the interview stage , looking forward to being in the company with you ! 

8 hours ago, Thinklikeamango said:

I’m a female , are there many females that enter the car repair or car inspector craft? 
You say your a custodian so I’m assuming “Attendant Terminal Appearance “ is your craft? Do they get paid weekly as well ? 
I was hoping for a call back from this position. The advancement steps are more appealing .. Ticket clerk, customer service usher etc .

I've seen alot of female coach cleaners I can't say for sure if they are inspectors or not but I'm sure there are definitely some. Yup I'm terminal appearance we all get paid weekly from what I know. Yeah the TCU union has alot of jobs you can go for including ticket seller, usher, customer service rep, mail room, ticket vending machine jobs, inventory control clerk, loading dock, crew dispatch, alot of jobs in the graybar building (mnrr hq) payroll and stuff like that, I believe even rail traffic control. If you get hired as a coach cleaner you can apply to terminal appearance after a year in your current position as long as your attendance is good I believe they don't have a problem switching you over you just have to start from the bottom again seniority wise but you keep your railroad time.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes if everything goes well and I get the job I plan to transfer out , i just really want to get in , I saw they recently posted a ticket seller position for metro north , are you planning to apply for that ? 
I have a question about background check . They are asking for pay stubs and proof of employment for all jobs listing , only thing is I don’t have access to that information , is there a way to get it? 

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...