Severe Overcrowding on Bx12 +Select

JubaionBx12+SBS

I once again have been observing occupancy counts on BusTime throughout the day and as usual I take a keen eye to the 55xx buses on the Bx12 SBS. Today, I observed some of the worst crowding I've seen yet doing this. I'm talking from noon all the way through to now there were a bunch of sardine cans going along the route with many of them hitting 90+ passengers at various points of the route. I've made several posts recently in the random thoughts thread about the crowding on the route and each time the situation was more severe than before. I know that pre-covid this was one of (if not the) most utilized routes in the city but all across the board ridership is down significantly in the city. I would imagine that would mean that sardine cans even on the busiest routes would be few and far between. The Bx12 SBS looks to be filling up just as much as it was pre-covid which means there is a huge issue to be addressed. It's downright unhealthy to have a route where sardine can loads are more likely than getting a seat during most of the day. I personally think the overcrowding on this route is one of the biggest issues in the Bronx bus network and all feasible measures should be taken to resolve it. I want to post this topic to get the discussion started on what options are on the table and how they can be implemented. 

41 minutes ago, JubaionBx12+SBS said:

I once again have been observing occupancy counts on BusTime throughout the day and as usual I take a keen eye to the 55xx buses on the Bx12 SBS. Today, I observed some of the worst crowding I've seen yet doing this. I'm talking from noon all the way through to now there were a bunch of sardine cans going along the route with many of them hitting 90+ passengers at various points of the route. I've made several posts recently in the random thoughts thread about the crowding on the route and each time the situation was more severe than before. I know that pre-covid this was one of (if not the) most utilized routes in the city but all across the board ridership is down significantly in the city. I would imagine that would mean that sardine cans even on the busiest routes would be few and far between. The Bx12 SBS looks to be filling up just as much as it was pre-covid which means there is a huge issue to be addressed. It's downright unhealthy to have a route where sardine can loads are more likely than getting a seat during most of the day. I personally think the overcrowding on this route is one of the biggest issues in the Bronx bus network and all feasible measures should be taken to resolve it. I want to post this topic to get the discussion started on what options are on the table and how they can be implemented. 

You snapped when I said this before, but the problem won't be resolved unless the (MTA) has accurate figures regarding ridership, and that means knowing how many people don't pay because the service they're providing is based on how many people pay. That's just a fact. Normally, they would have an idea of how many people don't pay based on how many times F5 was hit, but with SBS a driver can't possibly know who pays and who doesn't. 

I'm pretty sure that they also likely have driver shortages meaning missing buses that may not be announced. These two factors alone can contribute to insanely crowded buses. Furthermore, if it is that bad of an issue, it should be brought to the attention of elected officials who in turn can speak with the (MTA) to work to address the problem, otherwise, nothing will change. I imagine no one has been complaining enough in the first place, that means filing actual formal complaints with the (MTA) and contacting elected officials with those complaints, not complaining at bus stops or elsewhere.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Pretty much.  This agency won't lift a finger unless one goes through all levels of bureaucracy, including the electeds.  It sucks, because much of nobody (of us passengers) has time to write stuff up that frankly, should be the supervisor or dispatcher's job, but it's the only way to get things done.

@JubaionBx12+SBS and if you do reach out to the MTA or the politicians, I would recommend sending a letter by regular postal mail, because frankly, I've noticed over the years that they are far less responsive to phone calls and/or e-mail.  

Something else I have seen years ago when I used to take the M86SBS often is dispatch would have buses start at various points when they were long waits to address overcrowding and try to get them back on schedule. A common complaint I hear from those in charge now of dispatching, etc. is that they too are severely understaffed. Kind of surprised that they are letting the line slip the way that they have.

For what it's worth, there have been discussions about East-West travel in the Bronx, particularly along Fordham Rd/Pelham Parkway, but that's about it. Nothing specific, and nothing regarding this problem. Supposedly DOT is looking to make improvements, but that's separate from the overcrowding problems, and even if they do, a number of DOT projects are currently delayed because of staffing shortages. That said, this problem can be addressed with some effort.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8