S via Hammel's Wye?

Blackmanor1000

Due to signal problems at the Beach 67th Street Station, please expect delays in service on the (S) Shuttle train running between the Rockaway Park-beach 116th Street Station and the Far Rockaway-Mott Avenue Station in both directions at this time.

That's pretty cool, I didn't know Hammel's Wye was usable. Or maybe I'm understanding this wrong. I would like to go down there and see, but I'm not even sure if I'm rite ;).

That's pretty cool, I didn't know Hammel's Wye was usable. Or maybe I'm understanding this wrong. I would like to go down there and see, but I'm not even sure if I'm rite ;).

they are using it this weekend and next weekend cuz of construction on the Rockaway switches. The (A) is only going to Howard Bch-JFK. There 2 different shuttle buses going 2 the Rockaways. One goes non-stop to Far Rockaway and the oter goes 2 Rockaway Park, stopping at Broad Channel.

they are using it this weekend and next weekend cuz of construction on the Rockaway switches. The (A) is only going to Howard Bch-JFK. There 2 different shuttle buses going 2 the Rockaways. One goes non-stop to Far Rockaway and the oter goes 2 Rockaway Park, stopping at Broad Channel.

They are running Shuttle trains from Rockaway Park to Mott Ave. They're using 6 track across the back of Hammels Wye.They use this track only when needed(G.O.'s etc...). This is a 55 hour G.O. which will be used every other weekend for 4 or 5 weekends(this is the second weekend). Track Construction is replacing all 8 Lift Rails on the South Channel Bridge. They're installing 2 Lifts a weekend. The Lift Rails are the movable rails that lift up and down so the Bridge can spin open and let Boats thru.

I remember when amtrak had to replace some lift rails a few years back. Service was cut for a weekend over that line, forget which one it was. It's very precise work that has to be done carefully, so its no wonder they are not rushing it.

- A

I remember when amtrak had to replace some lift rails a few years back. Service was cut for a weekend over that line, forget which one it was. It's very precise work that has to be done carefully, so its no wonder they are not rushing it.

- A

Yeah, Lift Rails can be tricky. I've helped install more than a few on this Bridge. Not on this job tho. Usually , the hardest part is getting the linkage underneath to fit properly. Everything has to be dead on for it to work(measurements,angles etc...). Ran into plenty of headaches with these rails over the years. Hopefully,we'll make it thru the winter without too many adjustments up there. Nothing like being on that bridge when it's 10 degrees out, and the wind at 35mph.

Archived