LIRR Assistant Conductor invitation

2ride

I received an email from HR telling me to bring filled out employment papers, the job posting, and other things that I need to bring to the open house event. Does anyone know what will they ask me to do at the open house? Will it be orientation, interview or what? I want to prepare for this. 

You should definitely read through the previous thread on the LIRR AC position, it's full of good information (see link below). But, to answer your question, the open house is the first step in a lengthy process. You'll be in a large room with other applicants, potentially over 100 of you at once. A few transportation managers and/or superintendents, along with HR reps, will be present. They will briefly describe what the job is like, and they will tell some stories that may discourage some people from continuing (how awful the hours are, how little vacation time there is at first, how horrible the passengers can be, etc). They will answer whatever questions people may have, and then they will begin the tests.

First test you will take is a Cognitive test, like an IQ test basically. It's multiple timed sections. When time is up on one section, you cannot go back to it again. The idea is to get as many questions right as possible without guessing; it's tough/impossible to finish all the questions, so don't try to. There's no way to study or prepare for this kind of test, all the questions are based on material that is present on the test (articles to read, flow charts to interpret, etc).

Approximately half the people in the room will fail the Cognitive test. Those that pass will be given a simple math (addition, subtraction, multiplication) test and a simple vocabulary (multiple choice, pick the synonym) test. Almost no one fails these. Assuming you pass both of those tests, you will be interviewed. It's a short interview where the interviewer is really just checking off a checklist to make sure that your resume/background meet the job requirements. It's possible that the person interviewing you has no idea about the job or the hiring process, they are just there helping fill out the checklists. After that, your day is over.

A few days, weeks or months later, you will (hopefully) be contacted to continue the process with a Signals and Definitions overview class, which is roughly 4-6 hours long. Five weeks after that class, you are brought back in for the Signals & Definitions exam. If you can pass that exam, you are basically guaranteed to be hired, assuming you don't completely bomb the second interview (it happens right after the S&D test), and assuming you can pass the physical exam & the background check.

5 minutes ago, Two2Go said:

You should definitely read through the previous thread on the LIRR AC position, it's full of good information (see link below). But, to answer your question, the open house is the first step in a lengthy process. You'll be in a large room with other applicants, potentially over 100 of you at once. A few transportation managers and/or superintendents, along with HR reps, will be present. They will briefly describe what the job is like, and they will tell some stories that may discourage some people from continuing (how awful the hours are, how little vacation time there is at first, how horrible the passengers can be, etc). They will answer whatever questions people may have, and then they will begin the tests.

First test you will take is a Cognitive test, like an IQ test basically. It's multiple timed sections. When time is up on one section, you cannot go back to it again. The idea is to get as many questions right as possible without guessing; it's tough/impossible to finish all the questions, so don't try to. There's no way to study or prepare for this kind of test, all the questions are based on material that is present on the test (articles to read, flow charts to interpret, etc).

Approximately half the people in the room will fail the Cognitive test. Those that pass will be given a simple math (addition, subtraction, multiplication) test and a simple vocabulary (multiple choice, pick the synonym) test. Almost no one fails these. Assuming you pass both of those tests, you will be interviewed. It's a short interview where the interviewer is really just checking off a checklist to make sure that your resume/background meet the job requirements. It's possible that the person interviewing you has no idea about the job or the hiring process, they are just there helping fill out the checklists. After that, your day is over.

A few days, weeks or months later, you will (hopefully) be contacted to continue the process with a Signals and Definitions overview class, which is roughly 4-6 hours long. Five weeks after that class, you are brought back in for the Signals & Definitions exam. If you can pass that exam, you are basically guaranteed to be hired, assuming you don't completely bomb the second interview (it happens right after the S&D test), and assuming you can pass the physical exam & the background check.

To me, second interviews always seem sketchy. You can be as qualified as you can be during that interview and they still choose not to pick you for whatever reason. This is a problem because no one will understand why they are not picked to move forward. I find the hiring process to be dumb sometimes.

Did you have to rsvp? If so Did they send you back a email with a notification?

On 10/11/2022 at 6:34 PM, 2ride said:

I received an email from HR telling me to bring filled out employment papers, the job posting, and other things that I need to bring to the open house event. Does anyone know what will they ask me to do at the open house? Will it be orientation, interview or what? I want to prepare for this. 

So I got an invitation to both the Assistant Conductor position this week and the Locomotive Engineer trainee for next week. Do I pick one or the other? In the email, it says to disregard it if I attend one of the other open houses for Asst Conductor. Can I possibly be considered for both?

• 1 year later...