NJT bus operator new hire Newbie information

11 hours ago, newbie said:

Thanks checkmatechamp13.   It will certainly be an adjustment working all these different shifts but I am up for the challenge. Thanks again. So everyone bids on a shift by seniority and then they bid on the route by seniority. Also? Or are routes just distributed as management decides ? If routes are also bid on, What makes a route less desirable? 

You're welcome. Basically, you pick a run, and the run has certain routes within it. So you just read the whole paddle (the description of the schedule you have to keep) and see if it's something you like. What you prefer might not necessarily be what someone else prefers. (As I mentioned, some routes are prone to hitting a lot of traffic at certain times...If you like overtime, you might prefer those routes...if you don't like dealing with traffic, you might want to avoid those routes...or at least those routes at those times). For the full service lines (where you have to make change), some drivers may want to avoid the hassle of having to deal with cash and make change (the right way of doing it is to do it at the stop itself...you shouldn't be driving down the road counting money out, but of course, you have the have the schedule to keep so you have to learn how to do it safely and efficiently...you'll likely get the hang of it, but it might be a bit nerve-wracking at first). 

So for example (I'm not looking at any schedules, so this is a hypothetical run), one run at Market Street might be to report at 5:30am, do a 6am trip on the #171 to GWB, then a 7:15am trip on the #182 to Hackensack, then a 7:50am trip on the #178 to GWB, then an 8:30am trip on the #186 to Dumont, a return trip at 9:30am back to GWB, a 10:30am trip on the #171 back to Paterson, take a meal break, and then a 12:30pm trip on the #171 to GWB, a 1:45pm trip back to Paterson, and then head back to the depot and punch out to go home.

Then another run might be all #72 trips, so you might report at 5:45am, do a 6:15am trip to Newark, a 7:45am trip to Paterson, a 9:15am trip to Newark, a 10:30am trip back to Paterson, take a meal break, and then a 12:30pm to Newark, a 1:50pm back to Paterson, and then head back to the depot and punch out. So basically, if you accept that run, you are agreeing to everything within it (the start and end times, break times, the routes within it and the pros/cons of those routes, etc)

So the routes that go into the runs are decided by management. Sometimes there is a logic, and sometimes there isn't. 

I just started with NJT as a bus operator. I am at Oradell. I did get a choice between 3 garages. The garage choices were given based on distance from your address. I choose Oradell because I like MCIs and I like driving into the Port Authority. You get one week’s vacation after your first year that you bid on in seniority order. Basically as a newbie I will pick last. I am in training now having fun. As far as work is concerned (routes, hours etc) you also pick based on seniority. I have been told that when you graduate you go straight to the extra board.  I graduate June 2 with a new pick starting July so fingers crossed I won’t be on extra board long

Thanks Breeddekalb for that information and for the link.  Here's a situation I have. I've already bought tickets for a wedding in disney beach  club Florida for October 1st. Spending the week down there.  Damn destination weddings. Why can't they just get married locally. Lol. I won't have any vacation time accumulated yet.  I'm looking for some advice and information about using occurrences , which I don't even know exactly what occurrences are. They mentioned something like having 21 occurrences for 2-year period of time.   During  the HR info session he recommended either cancel your plans or postpone your application for the job as bus operator.  My question is can I use these occurrences to go to Florida for this wedding? What are the repercussions of doing this if allowed? Or if I'm offered the job, is there any way to postpone job start date, and park it, my start date, so to speak, for a period of time and start after the wedding like on October 4th when I return.?  

4 hours ago, newbie said:

Thanks Breeddekalb for that information and for the link.  Here's a situation I have. I've already bought tickets for a wedding in disney beach  club Florida for October 1st. Spending the week down there.  Damn destination weddings. Why can't they just get married locally. Lol. I won't have any vacation time accumulated yet.  I'm looking for some advice and information about using occurrences , which I don't even know exactly what occurrences are. They mentioned something like having 21 occurrences for 2-year period of time.   During  the HR info session he recommended either cancel your plans or postpone your application for the job as bus operator.  My question is can I use these occurrences to go to Florida for this wedding? What are the repercussions of doing this if allowed? Or if I'm offered the job, is there any way to postpone job start date, and park it, my start date, so to speak, for a period of time and start after the wedding like on October 4th when I return.?  

Thats a problem, when do you start and are you in a class?  And are you in the wedding party

Edited by BreeddekalbL

No offer letter yet. Just had drug and alcohol test this past Friday. I am not in  the wedding party. It is by best friends daughter that I've spent a lot of time with throughout their lives.   The hiring recruiter said to me  that if I already paid for the tickets, and if I feel I have to go , she said I could use occurrences. SHe said if I didn't already pay for it that I should seriously consider not going. I just don't know about occurrences and how they work or what they are. She  said something about 21 maximum  occurrences that you're allowed over 2 years.  Are occurrences unpaid absences?  Are they sick days? If after one year you approve one week vacation, I'd have to ask. How much sick time do you accrue over what year? So would know about these occurrences or sick days? Thanks

On the other question is, if I received and then decline a job offer, and then reapply to NJT Plus operator position after the wedding , with this be held against me or cause a problem for me applying then? I would stay at my current job. Just left the wedding since I already have a vacation time booked at my current job for a week and a half to attend this wedding?  What do you think?  Any ability to park or delay My start date if I am offered a job, which since I had my alcohol drug test Friday, I would think I would get an offer in the next week or two or?

13 hours ago, newbie said:

No offer letter yet. Just had drug and alcohol test this past Friday. I am not in  the wedding party. It is by best friends daughter that I've spent a lot of time with throughout their lives.   The hiring recruiter said to me  that if I already paid for the tickets, and if I feel I have to go , she said I could use occurrences. SHe said if I didn't already pay for it that I should seriously consider not going. I just don't know about occurrences and how they work or what they are. She  said something about 21 maximum  occurrences that you're allowed over 2 years.  Are occurrences unpaid absences?  Are they sick days? If after one year you approve one week vacation, I'd have to ask. How much sick time do you accrue over what year? So would know about these occurrences or sick days? Thanks

Ehh that depends on you regarding using the occurrences, also would the friend be upset and end the friendship if you didn't come? If not i would compensate him and give their daughter a "handsome" gift

6 hours ago, newbie said:

On the other question is, if I received and then decline a job offer, and then reapply to NJT Plus operator position after the wedding , with this be held against me or cause a problem for me applying then? I would stay at my current job. Just left the wedding since I already have a vacation time booked at my current job for a week and a half to attend this wedding?  What do you think?  Any ability to park or delay My start date if I am offered a job, which since I had my alcohol drug test Friday, I would think I would get an offer in the next week or two or?

Idk it really is up to you regarding postponing the job offer etc

Thanks BreeddekalbL for your thoughts on this particular problem.  I know the prudent thing is to not go to the wedding of course. But it's always good to know what your options are and what the consequences of doing those options will be to me and my career. Can someone enlighten me on what occurrences are, what they are to be used for and the trouble you get into for using them. And why would you not use occurrences.? Question number two is:  can a job offer be postponed or are you simply saying  You will just reapply as a new hire at a future date a have to go through the application process all over again from the beginning. ??  Thanks in advance. Thanks again for all your input, I really appreciate everyone's help.

I just got a text from my recruiter and my drug and alcohol test came back clear. No surprise there. She said we're just waiting on the background check. I'm hoping that goes well also and that I would possibly receive an offer for bus operator, New Jersey Transit. I was just wondering about the benefits. It seems you earn one week of vacation after 1 year of employment. Does anyone know what the progression is as far as? When does it go up to 2 weeks or 3 weeks Etc? Question 2 regarding sick days , is it also 5 days of sick time after one year? Do you start accruing these on day one of employment or after your 90-day probation ? Question #3 occurrences? What are they, how many do you get? when can you use them?  Is there a limit on consecutive days use of occurrences? What are the repercussions of using these days? The recruiter mentioned something about 21 occurrences over a 2-year. Can somebody please elaborate on any of these questions? Much appreciated?