r28 concourse yard

Jftransit

They are probably still there, rusting away. I just passed by there and there's still three rusty pairs of redbirds there like there have been for years now.

IIRC, one of each of the R26/28/29 combo is at Concourse.

They should just scrap those cars, they appear to be in horrid shape, missing rollsigns, etc. They have graffiti tags on one of the cars, who knows how long that tag have been on that car. 

10 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

They are probably still there, rusting away. I just passed by there and there's still three rusty pairs of redbirds there like there have been for years now.

They should just scrap those cars, they appear to be in horrid shape, missing rollsigns, etc. They have graffiti tags on one of the cars, who knows how long that tag have been on that car. 

Isn't there an R40M pair sitting there too?

It's kind of sad to see lesser known fleets like the early redbirds and 40Ms just sit in yards rotting... they already saved nearly two trains of R33s/R36s so I doubt they'll do anything to restore those... same goes for the 40M when they already have a preserved 42 pair...

Hell, even a fleet like the 44s only got a single car preserved, and the blind end and lack of interoperability means it probably won't run on a trip. I doubt they'll preserve any SIR R44 cars, and for R46s I see them keeping a married pair or two A cars at most... at least with the 62/As and 68/As they could convert them back to single cars and link two together... 

3 hours ago, slantfan4281 said:

Isn't there an R40M pair sitting there too?

It's kind of sad to see lesser known fleets like the early redbirds and 40Ms just sit in yards rotting... they already saved nearly two trains of R33s/R36s so I doubt they'll do anything to restore those... same goes for the 40M when they already have a preserved 42 pair...

Hell, even a fleet like the 44s only got a single car preserved, and the blind end and lack of interoperability means it probably won't run on a trip. I doubt they'll preserve any SIR R44 cars, and for R46s I see them keeping a married pair or two A cars at most... at least with the 62/As and 68/As they could convert them back to single cars and link two together... 

I didn't see the R40M pair there, not sure where in the system its located at.

In regards to the R46 I doubt they will save an A-A pair because it can't run on the mainline by themselves due to 3rd rail gaps. I would imagine a four set car gets saved, or nothing lol.

Can't run two single R68s on the mainline for the same reason. 

26 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I didn't see the R40M pair there, not sure where in the system its located at.

In regards to the R46 I doubt they will save an A-A pair because it can't run on the mainline by themselves due to 3rd rail gaps. I would imagine a four set car gets saved, or nothing lol.

Can't run two single R68s on the mainline for the same reason. 

I heard that 4480-4481 is at Concourse, but it may have been moved. The mismatched 40M/42 pair is at CI I think, but IIRC it was heavily vandalized. 

In that case I guess they'll just go with four cars for the R46s and maybe two R68s and two R68As linked together. If they were to do that I'd imagine they wouldn't keep any 46s and no more than a single 68 car in the museum because of space reasons.  

On 10/19/2023 at 2:35 PM, trainfan22 said:

The R29 is in better shape than both, The R26/28 needs body work but it's probably too late. They were kinda preserved but they were also used on the RAT until 2012, after that they just sat in concourse while they repaired and restored 9586/7 which was in worse shape than all 3 of those pairs. It sucks they favor the R33s/36s over these cars as the r26/28 are the last ACF cars we got.