Thank you, Orto

davemackey

Over the past three years or so, I was using the Orto app to verify vehicle VINs from license plates. This has been extremely valuable in helping track the New York and New Jersey transit bus fleets. What made it especially attractive was that it allowed me unlimited look ups. Now, unfortunately, Orto is gone. Its creator has decided to no longer offer the service. The few VIN look up sites I have at my disposal now only offer maybe five look ups a day. So updates may not be as fast and furious as they once were.

I didn't even know Orto existed, the unlimited number would have been useful. I just rotate between Vehicle HistoryFAXVINBumperVINCheck, VinCheckFree, and EpicVin for spitting out VINS, while using AutoVIN and CarFAX for narrowing down the year or model if a search on the other sites turns out blank.

LicensePlateDate was pretty good for a bit, but they completely removed all searches.