"Harold Protect" Engines

Maddog

So I was looking through some LIRR pictures on railpictures.net and came across a few of some of the "Harold protect" work engines (EMD SW1001's). Can anyone tell me what these are and what purpose they serve? Where are they parked? I know Harold is one of the interlocking switch towers, but I am not sure of any detail beyond that. Thanks!

So I was looking through some LIRR pictures on railpictures.net and came across a few of some of the "Harold protect" work engines (EMD SW1001's). Can anyone tell me what these are and what purpose they serve? Where are they parked? I know Harold is one of the interlocking switch towers, but I am not sure of any detail beyond that. Thanks!

Protect engines are rescue units and are diesel engines. In this case they're on hand in case an electric train gets stuck in one of the tunnels. They send in a protect to tow the disabled train out. They're usually found in the yards. MN has them at their yards also.

Yes, it's just east of Honeywell St on the Skillman Av side.

Click here for a GIF map of Sunnyside. The streets have old names but Honeywell is there and HAROLD is in the lower right. Trains coming out of the tunnel would either head out the LIRR to Woodside, up the Hell Gate or into the yards where they'd be cleaned and sent back to Penn for more passengers. HAROLD is a major interlocking, probably the busiest commuter rail switch tower in the US.

Archived