Last Two Days

DOB2RTO

During the last two days, I got to go to my old depot, and drive a different bus.

First on Monday at my old depot (Kingsbridge), I got to see a freshly painted Orion V, with the rear fully painted white. The rear AC cap vents and all, except the rear route sign. The bus # is 6033. Another bus was photographed with the same treatment also, #6057. Also MCI Cruiser (2910) was parked in the lower level for some reason. I was there because I had to go to MAC#3 for 19-A Medical, at 207st subway yard. It was fun to actually take my first baby steps onto RTO property, and walk across live tracks, where I had to look both ways, for trains. I got to see some of the new tech cars lined up next to the "Medical" building, and the maintenance shop. I know they are delivered at 215st entrance, but am guessing thay are put on the single tracks between the 2 buildings. COOL!

Today I had to go to Zerega for 19-A certification. We learned about the Hybrid buses, and why they breakdown so often. The battery cover, have no vents so the batteries overheat. Also they said it has a faulty fuel injector. At least they know why, and hopefully the issues are being remedied. I also got to drive New Flyer C40LF 912. The difference between the Orion VII, and the New Flyer CNG is night and day. The New Flyer is superior. It accelerates ALOT faster, which gives it the feel of a diesel bus. No jerking and pulling, just smooth acceleration. The Orion VII CNG jerks and pulls too much, and because of this would be left in the dust by the New Flyer when accelerating. The controls are better placed in the New Flyer C40LF, and the bus is larger in the inside than the Orion VII. The wood panels near the rear doors actually add a little niceness to the bus. I LOVED driving that bus. Back to the Orion VII CNG tomorrow, sigh. I then went to West Farms to turn in some paperwork. While in the union office, an operator stated the Bx33 will be at West Farms next year, following our general pick. They stated our union chair got the line secured for our depot. If, and that is IF true, then Clara Hale is either closing, or closing partially, giving up some lines. We shall see, as things change constantly around here.

Are buses assigned to particular routes for any reason? Like, good and bad neighborhoods, uphills, downhills. I know ridership has a lot to do with it but does anything else do too?

Nope. Crap shows up on all lines, like "good" stuff shows up. I believe the Bx32 is an exception. It is usually 100% Hybrid, due to the amount of hospitals it serves. It also gets alot of wheelchairs. If the ridership is high then of course artcis are put on those lines. The Bx36 suppose to be artic but Washington Heights residents put a stop to that. I know alot of them are regretting this, when at the first few stops the buses on that line get so packed at times, some stops get passed (i.e. Amsterdam Ave). They also take into account hills, and turns for artics. The Bx6 could use artics during the rush hour. I have never gotten so many people daily on one route. Crush loaded I tells ya.

Archived