2nd Annual Subway Rider Report Card Results Are In For The B Line

mark1447

(:) 6th Avenue/Concourse Local/ Brighton Express

The grades are in for the B line subway service and riders rated the line with an overall grade of C, an improvement over 2007's C-minus. In addition, the satisfaction index greatly improved, from 87% in 2007 to 92% this time around. MTA New York City Transit received 2,203 Rider Report Cards from riders rating B service, of which 2,063 were returned by mail and 140 responses were received through the internet. Twenty-one separate attributes were graded by customers on the line, which runs during rush periods between Bedford Park Blvd. in the Bronx and Brighton Beach in Brooklyn, and at midday and evening hours on weekdays between 145th Street in Manhattan and Brighton Beach.

"Ease of use of subway turnstiles" and "Availability of MetroCard Vending Machines" both earned "B-minus," unchanged from 2007. "Minimal delays during trips," "Reasonable wait times for trains," "Sense of security in stations," "Station announcements that are easy to hear," "Train announcements that are easy to hear," "Train announcements that are informative," "Lack of scratchitti in subway cars" and "Comfortable temperature in subway cars" all improved by at least one grade level. It is important to note that while 13 of the 21 service attributes on the B fared the same as they did in 2007, none received a lower grade than in 2007.

In terms of satisfaction indicators, great strides were made in station and train announcements that are informative and easy to hear as well as in reasonable wait times for trains, which all improved by at least eight percentage points. "Ease of the use of turnstiles," "Availability of MetroCard Vending Machines," "Lack of graffiti in subway cars" and "Signs in stations that help riders find their way" all excelled at 95% or better.

In prioritizing improvements they would like to see on the B line, riders ranked "Reasonable wait times for trains" as first (same as in 2007), "Adequate room on board at rush hour" as second (3rd in 2007) and "Minimal delays during trips" as third (2nd in 2007). Station and train announcements that are easy to hear rounded up the top five priorities listed.

According to NYC Transit President Howard H. Roberts, Jr., "The improvements noted in the perceptions of our B line customers are positive, though far from making us rest on our laurels. We will continue to strive to improve service on the B, especially as it relates to our customers' top priorities, which incidentally relate to service levels."

The (:D subway ride I'd give this a B+, and my reasons here are that the (B) is very frequent, running every five minutes, during Midday, and Rush hours. The R68 and R68A cars speeding along the Brighton and 6 Avenue lines are smooth. For me, the (B) comes every five minutes and delays are hardly an issue for me. You can't ask for a better and more comfortable ride on the (B). (B) trains are on time, every time, and accessing the (B) is very easy.

Conductor's announcements perform very well, generally, sometimes not as informative but they are generally helpful. The train crews working on the (B) perform their jobs very well also. I can't complain about the (B) these days.

(B) trains do NOT run every 5 minutes. More like every 8 during the rush. The first time I took the train, I waited for it for 16 minutes during the midday. Now there was obviously a delay, since they run every 10 minutes during the midday, but still...

Archived