An Introduction to Hong Kong's Mass Transit Railway by MTR Admiralty

MTR Admiralty

Alright, I'm going to show to you guys the MTR (Mass Transit Railway) system in Hong Kong.

The video included reflects the pre-merger system, so the map inside shows only the Kwun Tong Line, the Tsuen Wan Line, the Island Line, the Tung Chung Line, the Airport Express Line, the Tseung Kwan O Line and the Disneyland Resort Line.

This song, yes a song, uses many MTR station names and would show the station in real life as the name is mentioned. The song is sung by Steve James, a RTHK presenter, and is sung to the tune of "Do-Re-Mi, Sound of Music". James takes us all on a circuitous route, beginning with Tsuen Wan in the New Territories, eventually winding up in Prince Edward (Road). How he does that? Let's see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h8hHueE0vM&feature=related

The route is:

Tsuen Wan Line: From Tsuen Wan to Prince Edward or (Tai Chi Do, as how we would normally say "Prince Edward Road" in Cantonese)

Interchange to the Kwun Tong Line

Kwun Tong Line: From Prince Edward to Yau Tong

Interchange to the Tseung Kwan O Line

Tseung Kwan O Line: From Yau Tong to Quarry Bay

Interchange to the Island Line

Island Line: From Quarry Bay to Central, but James gives himself a choice between Sheung Wan (the terminal station of the Island Line) and a switch to the Tsuen Wan Line for Tsim Sha Tsui

Interchange to Tsuen Wan Line

Tsuen Wan Line: Central to Prince Edward

This journey is only a fraction of the current system, as it completely avoids the Tung Chung Line (one of the best MTR lines, IMO), the Disneyland Resort Line and of course, the famous Airport Express line.

Enjoy!

(Of course, you will pass by Admiralty, the origin of my handle)

The MTR reminds me of the IRT branch of the NYC Subway, these train cars are really interesting!

You mean the crowds?

The MTR cars are longer and wider than the IRT cars! They can fit a lot of people!

It can get really claustrophobic on the MTR. One is lucky to find a seat at Tsim Sha Tsui.

now that i've been back for a month, i can start posting vids, but i have so many (141) i don't know where to start...lol

Oh man, I can't wait to see some pics!

You should begin with the Airport Express Line, then the urban lines (Tsuen Wan, Kwun Tong, Island and TKO), then move out to East Rail Line, Ma On Shan Line and West Rail Line, the light rail network, drop down to the Tung Chung Line and if you have some trams, show us it!

The MTR reminds me of the IRT branch of the NYC Subway, these train cars are really interesting!

Actually the MTR uses the longuest and widest subway cars in the world, their length 23 meters and width 3118 meters and even bigger than the 75ft cars of the MTA. And also don't forget that the cars aren't separated like in NY by a door, so the capacity is much higher.

Actually the MTR uses the longuest and widest subway cars in the world, their length 23 meters and width 3118 meters and even bigger than the 75ft cars of the MTA. And also don't forget that the cars aren't separated like in NY by a door, so the capacity is much higher.

That is true, the urban lines (Tsuen Wan Line, Kwun Tong Line and the Island Line, as well as the Tseung Kwan O Line) have high volume. The trains are articulated units meaning you could flow through.

All of the trains on the MTR except for the Airport Express Line were designed to handle the dense capacity of Hong Kong.

The platforms at Admiralty are very wide in order to accommodate the passengers transferring between the Island Line and the Tsuen Wan Line. It is one of the busiest stations in the MTR system.

thanks, i've decided to post the vids in order, then group them into playlists on youtube. but i won't be posting any of the individual vids on the forums until i have them all on youtube, i do have 131 more to upload you know (10 are uploading now)

about images...

wait, there isn't an attachment button on the post???:confused:

thanks, i've decided to post the vids in order, then group them into playlists on youtube. but i won't be posting any of the individual vids on the forums until i have them all on youtube, i do have 131 more to upload you know (10 are uploading now)

about images...

wait, there isn't an attachment button on the post???:confused:

You can't attach here.

Archived