'F' train to frustration: 'F,' 'G' subway riders in Brooklyn headed for lengthy shutt

Trainspotter

Anyway this is great to know that the (G) will be extending to Church Avenue and hopefully the Carroll Gardens and Park Slope resident get their wish of the (F) running express via Culver!

I hope not! I'll never get to work on time if I need to depend on the (G) during rush hour. 4th Avenue needs the (F) to keep up with the demand.

They will be running on the express lines, except I do not know how the (G) can run to Hoyt St., if they are running express.

The (G) can't access the lower level at Bergen St comming from the north. The only way it can is from the south and if it does, it wont be able to go to Hoyt St.

is culver express service really necessary? i cannot wait to see the (G) start using R68/68As. hopefully, i will have some time to take a few pictures and vidoes wherever college i go next year.

YES it is! My commute (along with many other people's) on the (F) could be cut by 20 minutes with express service.

The (G) can't handle the crowd that the (F) get's during rush hour. An (F) express that skips 4th Avenue would be a BAD idea.

Hey! If the (F) runs express, more people will be using the express train. There are thousands Brooklynites advocating the (F) express. Do you realize the only reason the (F) express was no longer operates is because there was a huge signal fire in the 80's that still isn't completely fixed? This is why (F) trains crawl between Jay street and bergen street.

and why would skipping S&9 st and 4th ave be bad?

What if Smith/9 Sts and 4 Av/9 St get reconstructed as Express Stations? Perhaps, then they can utilize the (F) as an Express and use the (G) & (V) in a scenario....? Just a thought...

Zach

the (F) would run express service on weekdays only and other times it would be local and on weekdays when the (F) is running express on the culver line the (V) would get extended to Brooklyn to help the (G).so on weekdays the (F) is express in Brooklyn and the (G)/(V) would run local in Brooklyn.

What if Smith/9 Sts and 4 Av/9 St get reconstructed as Express Stations? Perhaps, then they can utilize the (F) as an Express and use the (G) & (V) in a scenario....? Just a thought...

Zach

1) That would cost too much money

2) It would be pointless because then they would have to fix Bergen LL to get to the middle tracks. And if its going to stop there, a cheaper way is to install switches after 4th Avenue

3) I don't see why people think the (F)MUST stop at 4th Avenue and Smith and 9th.

the (F) would run express service on weekdays only and other times it would be local and on weekdays when the (F) is running express on the culver line the (V) would get extended to Brooklyn to help the (G).so on weekdays the (F) is express in Brooklyn and the (G)/(V) would run local in Brooklyn.

Proof? and there is no need for the (V) and (G) to run there! too much congestion! The line is already very congested!

2) It would be pointless because then they would have to fix Bergen LL to get to the middle tracks. And if its going to stop there, a cheaper way is to install switches after 4th Avenue

3) I don't see why people think the (F)MUST stop at 4th Avenue and Smith and 9th.

I think people depend on the (F) because its the "Main-Thru-Route" into Manhattan & Queens, while the (G) turns East and then Northwest into Long Island City, without touching Manhattan. I would think the (F) should stop at least 4 Av for the (M)(R) Connection.

Hey! If the (F) runs express, more people will be using the express train. There are thousands Brooklynites advocating the (F) express. Do you realize the only reason the (F) express was no longer operates is because there was a huge signal fire in the 80's that still isn't completely fixed? This is why (F) trains crawl between Jay street and bergen street.

and why would skipping S&9 st and 4th ave be bad?

Those stations get packed during rush hour. I take the (F) from 4th Avenue everyday and know from first hand experience on how important it is to keep the (F) running there to make connection to the ®/(M).

Those stations get packed during rush hour. I take the (F) from 4th Avenue everyday and know from first hand experience on how important it is to keep the (F) running there to make connection to the ®/(M).

Will it satisfy you if the (V) ran there? There is no reason it shouldn't. If the (V) runs there and the (F) is express everybody wins.

honestly, express service on any line does not save you more than 5-10 minutes. if you do not believe me, look at the timetables or use a stopwatch.

Even if you advocate that, why are you against the (F) express? What If I said there will be no more Flushing express or Brighton Express? Would anyone want that? No. So why is the (F) any different?

Even if you advocate that, why are you against the (F) express? What If I said there will be no more Flushing express or Brighton Express? Would anyone want that? No. So why is the (F) any different?

i am not saying i am against an (F) express. i am just telling you not to exaggerate on the amount of time an express train saves. if the majority of the customers on the Culver Line want express service, then it should be implimented. if not, they it should not. that is why some lines like the Brighton and Fulton Street Lines have it while others like the West End and Astoria Lines do not.

i am not saying i am against an (F) express. i am just telling you not to exaggerate on the amount of time an express train saves. if the majority of the customers on the Culver Line want express service, then it should be implimented. if not, they it should not. that is why some lines like the Brighton and Fulton Street Lines have it while others like the West End and Astoria Lines do not.

Are you kidding me. The reason why those lines have it is to connect people to other places, besides the places the local will go to. For example, on the Fulton, there is too many people so the (A) would be a good train to use to get to Manhattan, but many people live in the areas of local stations so they have to use the (C). On the Brighton, many people work on 6th Avenue so they need the (:D like the old (D) and (Q). West End and Astoria do not have it because there is only 1 express. It's not the people's opinion on these lines.

The (V) would get extended to Brooklyn as Culver Local like the people in Brooklyn wanted when their is Culver express service.

Again the (V) will not go past Lower East Side-2nd Avenue.....Carroll Gardens and Park Slope residents wants an (F) express via Culver while the can go to Church Avenue....its makes no sense to have 2 6th Avenue Lines in Bklyn!

Are you kidding me. The reason why those lines have it is to connect people to other places, besides the places the local will go to. For example, on the Fulton, there is too many people so the (A) would be a good train to use to get to Manhattan, but many people live in the areas of local stations so they have to use the (C). On the Brighton, many people work on 6th Avenue so they need the (;) like the old (D) and (Q). West End and Astoria do not have it because there is only 1 express. It's not the people's opinion on these lines.

it is resident's opinions. think about it. when the (W) was introduced in 2001, it ran express on the Astoria Line in peak direction, but that was discontinued in january 2002 because residents said it was not necessary and survey showed the local was overcrowded while the express was underutilized. the (C) used to terminate at World Trade Center on evenings and weekends and the (A) made local stops in Brooklyn, but in 1999, the (C) was sent to Euclid Avenue whenever it operates because Fulton Street residents said they wanted 7-day express service on their line.

I wonder why when the local tracks are being replaced, the trains can't stop on the center tracks with bridges to the outer platforms instead of bypassing the stations.

unless it is long-term construction, those bridges would be a waste of money and time.

The article states that this is a major construction project. This was done a few years ago on the West End Line and again on the Brighton Line. Those reconstructions only took about three months and the bridges were built.

i do not think they are just rebuilding the tracks. they are reconstructing the station as well. 4th Avenue and Smith-9th Streets are among the most deplorable stations in the system and need to be fixed ASAP.

Archived