Where can I find the R38s?

R68 Subway Car

I saw an 8 or 10 car R38 set heading to Pitkin Yard while I was at Jay Street today. I guess that since that set is not going to 207th shops at this time, they could be saved for work service.

They'll probably keep a few around for work service because they have A/C which the crews will appreciate in the summer months.

As for whoever was posting about the museum, there are TWO and ONLY TWO that are going to the preserved...they become museum property but that doesn't mean they'll be on display specifically at the TM for a while...remember those cars are new - when people (non foa...i mean non railfans) go to the museum they don't necessarily want to see cars they've just been riding a few months ago, they wanna see the oooold stuff

You'd be surprised as to how many people attempt to board work trains. They'll even try to board flat cars, so a passenger car, whether it is A or B division is a prime target for such people.

That said, people generally wont try to board a train til the doors open, so it is usually a moot point.

While some retired B division cars have certainly been used as work cars(there were a number of R27-30 work motors well into the 1990s) I doubt many B division cars will end up in non-stationary work use. (there are a plethora of R33s to be used in such a capacity)

Archived