Route Connection Question

R44 5278

This has to more with PRR and NY Central than Amtrak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3ZiSt60ET4

(Not my video)

When FDR used to board his train from DC to the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in NY, I believe it was mentioned that hotel itself was connected to GCT (guessed from the M7A in the video). If so, was there an actual historical connection from the PRR to the NY Central so FDR's train could travel from Union Station to GCT and finally the secret station under the Waldorf Astoria Hotel?

I believe when FDR came from the Washington DC area by rail He would use the West Shore and what is now the Riverline and connect with the NYC some where up there. I do not think there was any connection between Penn and GCT until Amtrak built the Empire Connection which technically is a connection between the the two.

I believe when FDR came from the Washington DC area by rail He would use the West Shore and what is now the Riverline and connect with the NYC some where up there. I do not think there was any connection between Penn and GCT until Amtrak built the Empire Connection which technically is a connection between the the two.

You take the LIRR tunnels to the connecting railroad & shoot up to new rochelle and down the new haven line into GCT. I know for a fact this was a tricky move involving diesel and top and bottom contact power. Took 2-3 hours to get from queens to GCT, more if there was a problem. Since he always arrived in the overnight hours it was never an issue though.

Sunnyside yard is not configured today the same way as it was in those days, so i'm guessing they changed power there to a diesel & then at new rochelle to bottom contact 3rd rail.

A while back i ran across some information about the exact equipment they used to move the presidential train, but i for the life of me can't really remember much past what i've all ready stated.

- A

I would think since this was all a secret move there were different ways they would go. So I'm sure were both right especially since I talked to an old head I know who told me that they never knew which route his train was going to take. This old head being a friend of my grandmother who had worked for the Pennsy/PC/Conrail his entire career. The fact is there was no direct connection.

Thanks for the info everyone!

But quick question on third rail capability, are the top contact third rail trains capable of running on bottom contact third rail lines. I've seen that the M7/As' shoes are quite similar, or do the M7As have an extra piece on the shoe?

• 2 weeks later...
You take the LIRR tunnels to the connecting railroad & shoot up to new rochelle and down the new haven line into GCT. I know for a fact this was a tricky move involving diesel and top and bottom contact power. Took 2-3 hours to get from queens to GCT, more if there was a problem. Since he always arrived in the overnight hours it was never an issue though.

I don't remember, but didn't the old New Haven have besides their MU cars, electric locomotives that could run on both New York Central style third rail dc and on their own overhead ac for the switchover at Woodlawn like the later FL9 dual power locomotives did?

If so, they could simply have used one of them to power the presidential train either by relieving the Pennsy GG1 (or predessor) at NYP or better yet at New Rochelle.

Archived