Car Inspector Hiring

caroljob

I wanna inspect A R68 LOL when does this come out

How does your post help out the original poster? You don't need to post just to post especially if you can't help answer the persons questions.

Don't you need electrical experience or have graduated from a trade school?

Here are the requirements from the NOE:

Two years of full-time satisfactory experience as a mechanic at the journeyman/journeywoman level (i.e., a fully trained, knowledgeable, experienced, proficient and competent mechanic), working from drawings, performing troubleshooting, repair or maintenance of large heavy duty electromechanical, electric or electronic equipment and machinery; or the electrical inspection, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of multiple-unit electrical railroad cars or diesel-electric locomotives.

For the above journey level experience to be credited, it must be preceded by one of the following:

(1) two years of full-time satisfactory experience as a mechanic’s helper, apprentice or trainee performing or assisting in the work described above; or

(2) graduation from a trade school, technical school or vocational high school, approved by a state’s Department of Education or comparable agency, with a major course of study in electromechanical, electrical or electronic technology, or a closely related field, totaling 600 hours; or

(3) graduation from an accredited college or university with an A.A.S. degree, or a higher degree, in electromechanical, electrical or electronic technology or a closely related field.

The following are examples, but not all inclusive, of acceptable types of experience: air-craft/avionics technician; power-plant technician; automotive/diesel mechanic/technician; commercial/industrial electrician; electronic systems technician; commercial/industrial HVAC technician; and elevator/escalator mechanic.

The following are examples of types of experience that are not acceptable: machinist; CNC machine operator; assembler; basic electrical work such as residential/commercial lighting and wiring; electronic bench technician; auto-body and fender mechanic; auto or truck assembly mechanic; dealership makeready mechanic; gas station attendant; salvage or junkyard mechanic; automotive specialty work such as changing mufflers, windshield wipers, tires, oil, etc.; and repair of personal computers.

You may be given the practical test before we verify your qualifications. You are responsible for determining whether or not you meet the qualification requirements for this examination prior to submitting your application. If you are marked "Not Qualified," your application fee will not be refunded

and you will not receive a score.

This exam opened up on June 3rd, $60.00 exam fee....says testing will begin October 12th, 2009 which is a Monday

• 1 month later...

I know someone within the Transit HR department and this person and I were speaking about the CI position recently. There is a written (multiple choice) component which MUST be passed before the practical component is administered. As far as the number of positions which are to be filled, I'm not sure. But I'll ask this person in the morning and post a reply.

I forgot to add that with the addition of the NTT's, computer experience is all but an absolute essential to be a serious candidate for the CI position. That comes from someone who used to work for Kawasaki on the R142A and R143 cars as a programmer.

I forgot to add that with the addition of the NTT's, computer experience is all but an absolute essential to be a serious candidate for the CI position. That comes from someone who used to work for Kawasaki on the R142A and R143 cars as a programmer.

Do those cars run an in-house system or is it based off of Windows, *nix, etc..?

Good question, Joe, and I don't have an exact answer, nor do I want to venture too off thread. The guy I spoke with (who coincidentally took the C/I or RCI, whatever was recently offered, C/R and T/O exams) has a degree in computer programming and told me that Kawasaki had their techies at the Transit yards all the time to troubleshoot the computers when the NTT's were first delivered and even now with the 160s. Whether that is part of a warranty/service deal or the on-board systems use a program exclusive to Kawasaki (and likewise, to Almstom, Bombardier, etc.), I'm not sure and I don't want to provide inaccurate information.

Can any of the good Transit employees provide us with a better answer?

OK, I spoke to my friend at Transit HR and I was informed that something to the effect of 40 vacancies will be filled for the C/I position. However, this person went on to say that the TA tends to over-hire people for this position and then not hire for a number of years unless necessary.

I hope that helps.

i got 100 on my bus mechanic practical test i took a few weeks ago will the mta use that score towards the car inspector practical test..i heard they have done this before

No. Those are two completely different titles working on entirely different machinery in different capacities with different job descriptions. My friend said this morning that has not happened during the past 15 years that my friend has been with Transit and will not happen in the foreseeable future either.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived