Nostalgia trains

How do you get on the list to operate a nostalgia train? I keep getting various answers from various people but no one seems to know.

(2)

If you are a qualified NYCT train operator not on probation, there is ONE way to get to do it, but it's no sure thing...it involves "knowing someone" and that's all im going to say on the matter, at least publicly...

If you are NOT a qualified NYCT train operator, or are on probation, then there is absolutely no way you will get to operate one of the nostalgia trains.

If you are a qualified NYCT train operator not on probation, there is ONE way to get to do it, but it's no sure thing...it involves "knowing someone" and that's all I'm going to say on the matter, at least publicly...

If you are NOT a qualified NYCT train operator, or are on probation, then there is absolutely no way you will get to operate one of the nostalgia trains.

Haha, I know who you gotta know but not only do I not work for the TA yet, I have no plans of ever working for RTO. I'll work for MoW or CED but not RTO. By the way, how many crews does "he" have to operate the museum trains?

Haha, I know who you gotta know but not only do I not work for the TA yet, I have no plans of ever working for RTO. I'll work for MoW or CED but not RTO. By the way, how many crews does "he" have to operate the museum trains?

A few, but two are steady since they are based at "that yard" and are generally yard T/Os

Nostalgia trains = transit museum trains not BERA trains.

Ok whatever but BERA also has 4 or 5 nostalgia trains (Lo-v,R9, R17 are nostalgic trains) that are also in the transit museum so I would say it answered his question regarding being able to drive a "nostalgia" train. The word Nostalgia is not restricted to trains that are only in the transit meseums and he was not specific so.. yea

Ok whatever but BERA also has 4 or 5 nostalgia trains (Lo-v,R9, R17 are nostalgic trains) that are also in the transit museum so I would say it answered his question regarding being able to drive a "nostalgia" train. The word Nostalgia is not restricted to trains that are only in the transit meseums and he was not specific so.. yea

The world "nostalgia" is used in reference to Transit Museum trains amongst railfans, even the MTA itself uses it as well in that sense. I've yet to see any railfan refer to the trains in BERA. BERA also only has 2 working Rapid Transit trains, the R17 and the Low-V. The R9 is not in operational status.

Join BERA at the $500 level and you can get a crack at operating a train.

Incorrect, $50 on a rapid transit weekend get you operating time and one years membership. I don't know where you got that $500 figure from but, I have operated there many times (still need time to qualify) and I have not even com close to paying that.

How do you get on the list to operate a nostalgia train? I keep getting various answers from various people but no one seems to know.

(2)

To be able to operate the Nostalgia Train, you must do everything listed below:

• Get Work Train qualified

• Pick a yard switching job at 207th Street Yard in the B Division with at least a piece of the weekend off

• Wait for one of the regular Nostalgia T/O's, Derek or Steve, to either retire or drop dead. One piece of bad news: both guys are pretty young.

Once you perform all of the above, then you can work the old trains! Until then, the closest you can get to a relic is an R32.

• Wait for one of the regular Nostalgia T/O's, Derek or Steve, to either retire or drop dead. One piece of bad news: both guys are pretty young.

Really, I would think someone with high seniority would get that job. Someone who is young would not really have seniority.

Really, I would think someone with high seniority would get that job. Someone who is young would not really have seniority.

Even though both men have excellent seniority, it isn't used for special event trains, which this train is.

Archived