New catenary towers and fixtures for M&E

Blinkerdoors

I must admit that some of the structures and towers are brand new, such as for example the job done at Newark Broad Street. That's wonderful how that was done. But as you go along the line, you'll see where extra fixtures and supports are placed on the old towers of the M&E to support faster equipment. The Gladstone line was replaced in and around 1982-4. So that's fairly new. But from an artist point of view, some of the structuring are ugly. Where is the harmony? There's just utilitarian, no longer beauty. So in like manner, I disagree, but who am I to say? Any way, I remember around 1962, I used to live for a short while on Grove St. (long before I-280) located right by the old Grove St. Station in front of the old Mayflower building. Who remembers the Phoebe Snow Express?:me:(NJT)

No, I don't. I just remember the sounds of the diesels and the charm of the train passing through at night. You won't ride on those trains anymore. I remember the last time I heard the trains passing through. It was 1970. Then they were replaced by those loud, slow, but powerful, black-blue GE "U's. And the charm of traveling was forever gone on the M&E lines.

It would be even better if DL&W electrified the cutoff all the way to Delaware Water Gap station so faster trains could've ran on the cutoff. Having the Dual Mode Locomotives on the line in the future running at 79 mph is just boring and slow. Even I can get up to 85 mph on my Mini Cooper when no cops are on Rt 78.

It would be even better if DL&W electrified the cutoff all the way to Delaware Water Gap station so faster trains could've ran on the cutoff. Having the Dual Mode Locomotives on the line in the future running at 79 mph is just boring and slow. Even I can get up to 85 mph on my Mini Cooper when no cops are on Rt 78.

You sound like my friend Greta who ironically drive a Mini.

The cut-off is the best thing to electrify. Hell even some Amtrak service might even take advantage of it. It seem like NJT is taking over tho. First ACES, then this New Haven service now they wanna invade the Pocono area. NJ Transit is definatlly going to take over one day. Mark my words.

The cutoff is slated for re-activation, however it will be quite some time before wires go up, mostly because PA and NJ have to agree on upkeep and all that stuff. Once the upper sections of the peekskill and delaware river viaducts are in working order only then could overhead wire even begin to be considered. They were designed for steam trains, not electric.

- A

With the acquisition of Dual Mode locomotives don't expect to see projects like the Cut-Off get wires.

NJT is not going to takeover anything, as far as the cutoff goes they only want to go as far as East Stoudsburg they are being pushed to go to Scranton, they think Scranton is a matter for Amtrak not them. Truth is it would be better if Amtrak went to Scranton as then they could continue to good old Bing.

Archived