some SEPTA ?s

AgedPolaris

Ok, so I'm planning another Philly trip in early/mid September, and I wanna make sure I fan all the right stuff this time.

First, I'm debating whether I should ride a bus, or take the NEC to Trenton, and then ride SEPTA from Trenton to 30th street station. I've never ridden SEPTA commuter trains, but the main car I wanna ride are the Silverliner IIs. I'm guessing finding these is similar to a Budd M3 on the LIRR... are they a shrinking part of the fleet right now? If I wanted to find one, would I have to go to a certain line, at a certain part of time? I know these old guys must be on the way out, if not already.

Also, I've also heard some interesting things about the PATCO train. Is it worth it just to take it a few stops in either direction?

and I guess I'll leave this open to any suggestions as far as what to see as far as both rail, and any cool off the beaten path stuff in downtown philly to look for as a visitor. each time I've visited in the past, it's always been a "driving through" scenario, only a few hours, and i've been mad rushed.

thanks in advance!

I think the best choice would be to take the :nec: to Trenton, that way wou will get a good day of train trips with some variety too. I'm not so sure about the Silverliners, someone else can answer that one! :P

Slim chance of seeing the Silverliner IIs or IIIs on the (7). On weekends, the Silverliner IVs dominate everything unless there's an event in town. I went on a Saturday during the flower show and found plenty of IIs and even a III out.

Riding PATCO over the BFB is like riding the BMT or IND over the MB.

Route 15 runs the PCC-II cars and there's a PCC in the basement of 1234 Market (SEPTA HQ).

You can get off the (7) at Suburban or Market East also and that will leave you a bit closer to the center of things (buses, BSS, MFL, Subway-Surface). Market East is also near the PATCO station at 8th and Market which serves the BRS and MFL too.

Perfect, thank you guys for all the good info!

Although a bus is cheaper, I obviously prefer trains, and I love all the variety on the NEC. I've never taken it past Princeton Junction myself, so going all the way down to Trenton would be sweet, as well as a ride on the SEPTA R7 which would be brand new territory. On the NEC I've always almost gotten Arrow IIIs, so it'd be cool to maybe catch one of the Bombardier bi-levels this time.

Here's another ? though... What are the differences between the NJT Arrow III and SEPTA Silverliner IV? I searched here real quick, but all I could surface is that the S-IV was a closer relative of the Arrow II.

...and a comment that the S-IV had uncomfortable seats, which must mean there's some interior differences from the A-III, 'cos the A-III has probably my favorite seats on any train I've been on. You sink down in them like an old Lincoln, haha.

there's a 99.99% chance that you would see a S-II/S-III on the R1 Airport Line. I rarly see them on the R7 and i live by that line. So i think you should check out the R1 for an older train

Correct, because they have luggage racks.

To get there you'd take the R7 from trenton, then likely get off at 30th st and change platforms (i forget which platform takes the R1) and ride down to the airport. It's not that long of a ride, and it is so very cool to see main line heavy rail serve an airport the way the :septa: R1 does. It has different cat towers (newer) and the baggage/airline check-in area is a short walk up and over from the parking garage/rail side of the road there, and the terminal side. It stops at all 5 terminals (2 share a train station) and a station just before the airport.

- A

1. If you are a college student, I think NJT still offers free rides to students for a week in September, which means the ride to Trenton will be free.

2. If you are lucky on a weekday, you will get a Silverliner II.

3. IMO, PATCO rules! It is like a heavy rail version of an M1 since it has soft seats, the interior is a bit similar, and the door closing warning sounds like an old fashioned phone. PATCO has an RFW which is in front of the front seat which means you don't need to stand at their RFW. Also the operator is on the left side instead of the right. There is a short (about 2 foot) door into the cab. The fares are distanced based instead of a fixed fare, and the ride from 15/16 Locust to Lindenwold is 25 minutes long. Every station has an island platform. This is only system I know of when you need to put the ticket in the machine to exit. PATCO does go over the Ben Franklin, and IMO, it is not like the trains going over the Manny B since it goes at a faster speed, and you have an unobstructed view on your right side.

4. MTR, there is a xfer FROM PATCO to routes in Center City for $2.40, but it is for round trips only.

5. Forget the $6 "Inconvenience Pass", and instead get the $10 1 day Independence Pass which give you unlimited bus, subway, trolley, and regional rail for a day. You can't use it on a regional rail train to/through Center City before 9:30 AM weekdays. Add $5 for travel to/from New Jersey.

6. check out the Broad Street express line-- it FLIES down the express tracks. The Market Frankford El is nice too. Their trolleys are unique too since they are underground in Center City, but they are street running in West Philadelphia.

Archived