Railfan Trip 8/10/2009

^ I think we're eating lunch at Penn Station, and seeing that the trip is starting at 9 I don't think you'll be in for much if you join us there. I guess once we see the actual itenerary (sp?) we could see when you could meet up with us.

goldcoinleopard (15:07:34): okay heres da plan

goldcoinleopard (15:10:08): qnsboro plz - 7 to jct- 7 to jhts - any train to forest - v to 2nd - f to smith 9 -f to ditmas- coney island pit stop - n to 62 - d to 9 th - d to 34 - lunch brk - penn sta (15 mins) - a to 207 - sbs to wpr - 2 to east 180 - 5 to dyre - 5 to lex av/59 - n/r/w to 5th av for busfanning

dattabase627 (15:16:53): along w/ more stripped cars there

dattabase627 (15:17:01): so it would make more sense to get on the A at 168

goldcoinleopard (15:17:07): tru

dattabase627 (15:17:12): and then the 1 to207/215

goldcoinleopard (15:22:38): if we hav time, we cud drop dwn on da brighton

dattabase627 (15:23:27): how would you fit brighton in

dattabase627 (15:23:40): coney-brighton-atlantic-N to 62nd-D up?

goldcoinleopard (15:24:06): sure y not

For those who do not understand my "Internet speech", here is the English translation of that:

We will meet at Queensboro Plaza at 9 AM. If you could make it that early, fine with me. If you can't, please leave your number so you can contact us later in the day. We will then take the 7 to Junction Blvd for a photo-op. Then the Manhattan bound 7 to Roosevelt. We will transfer to the E or F (whichever comes first) to Forest Hills, then wait for a SMEE V train. Then we will take the V all the way to 2nd. From there, we will take the F to Smith for a photo-op, then to Ditmas for another photo-op, then all the way to Coney Island. We will make a pit stop (for those who drank too much) and will have time for a quick photo-op. We will crossover to the Q and ride it to Sheepshead Bay (photo op) and transfer to the B. We will take the B all the way to Atlantic and then transfer to the N to 62nd Street (photo-op). We will then transfer to the D to 9th Avenue for a photo op. Next, we will take the D back into Manhattan to 34th Street for lunch. There are many fast-food restaurants in that vicinity. 30-45 minutes will be allotted for lunch and we will all meet outside K-Mart (on 7th Avenue and 34th, next to the LIRR entrance) when we are done. We will then spend 15 minutes at Penn for some railfanning. We will then proceed to the A train station inside Penn, and will take the A to 168th and transfer to the 1 to 215th Street. We will then walk under the elevated from 215 to 207, getting as close to the yard as possible.

Next we will wait for the SBS and then ride that to White Plains Road and transfer to the 2. We will take the 2 to East 180th for photo ops. Then the 5 to Dyre. If possible, we could stop at every stop for pics. Once at Dyre, we will take the 5 straight back to Manhattan to 59th Street and transfer to the N/R/W to 5th Avenue for busfanning.

**If we have time, we can take the N to Union, the L to Eastern Pkwy, the J or Z to Jamaica, the E all the way thru the QBL and end around there. But that will be very time-consuming**

This should cost 3 rides (4 if we are going to do that extra leg, which I doubt)

Leave your numbers if you are coming.

I doubt we should plan the photo-ops in advance because it's better if we play it by ear during the trip. Anyway, if you're too lazy to read all of ^ that...

9 AM - Meet at Queensboro Plaza, last (10th) car on the upper level

9:30 - (7) to Junction

9:50 - (7)(E)(F)(R)(V) to Forest Hills

11:00 - (V) to 2nd Ave.

12:00 - (F) to Coney Island

12:45 - (Q)(;) to Atlantic Ave.

1:15 - (N) to 62nd, (D) to 9th

2:15 - leave Penn after lunch and LIRRfanning

2:45 - (A) to 168

3:20 - (1) to 215, walk to 207

3:45 - SBS to WPR

4:30 - (2)(5) to Dyre

5 - Busfanning at 5th

Damn, this is one long RF trip!

EDIT @ 9:55 PM - Guys, sorry for the rather short notice, but most of the regulars here are on at this time of night and should check tomorrow morning anyway. Henry just contacted me with this news. Because of a personal situation that came up earlier, the trip will be postponed until Monday, August 10th. Can a mod please change the thread title?

Due to personal events and a lack of communication, the trip will be postponed to Monday, 10 August 2009. This is the last change I am making to the date. I am not postpone the trip any further than this. I hope by next week, I could get a clear idea of who's going or not and make further adjustments if need be for the trip.

If you cannot arrive early in the morning, feel free to leave a text message to my cell number at (PM me for Cell #). I will then call you if I am out of the tunnel to make arrangements so that you can join us later in the trip.

Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience.

I doubt we should plan the photo-ops in advance because it's better if we play it by ear during the trip. Anyway, if you're too lazy to read all of ^ that...

9 AM - Meet at Queensboro Plaza, last (10th) car on the upper level

9:30 - (7) to Junction

9:50 - (7)(E)(F)(R)(V) to Forest Hills

11:00 - (V) to 2nd Ave.

12:00 - (F) to Coney Island

12:45 - (Q)(:( to Atlantic Ave.

1:15 - (N) to 62nd, (D) to 9th

2:15 - leave Penn after lunch and LIRRfanning

2:45 - (A) to 168

3:20 - (1) to 215, walk to 207

3:45 - SBS to WPR

4:30 - (2)(5) to Dyre

5 - Busfanning at 5th

Damn, this is one long RF trip!

EDIT @ 9:55 PM - Guys, sorry for the rather short notice, but most of the regulars here are on at this time of night and should check tomorrow morning anyway. Henry just contacted me with this news. Because of a personal situation that came up earlier, the trip will be postponed until Monday, August 10th. Can a mod please change the thread title?

if u guys are planning to do WPR, there is a North Bound Express service from 149th to 180th street on your way bk to Manhattan.

Best place for shots, all of em except Intervale(Sometimes Jackson too). For curves, Tremont, 174th, Freeman and Simpson, for towns view prospect Manhattan bound sie towards the last car..

And for SBSa few shots at Fordham Plaza with all buses are also there.. [bx9, 12LCL, 12BRT, 15, 17, 22, 34[off a 2 blocks westbound], 41, Westchester Bee Line 60, 61, 62)

Hope that helps, but up to u guys since timing is also important, good luck:tup:

if u guys are planning to do WPR, there is a North Bound Express service from 149th to 180th street on your way bk to Manhattan.

Best place for shots, all of em except Intervale(Sometimes Jackson too). For curves, Tremont, 174th, Freeman and Simpson, for towns view prospect Manhattan bound sie towards the last car..

And for SBSa few shots at Fordham Plaza with all buses are also there.. [bx9, 12LCL, 12BRT, 15, 17, 22, 34[off a 2 blocks westbound], 41, Westchester Bee Line 60, 61, 62)

Hope that helps, but up to u guys since timing is also important, good luck:tup:

Good tips, but if we are going to do the entire WPR from 149, that would take quite a time. Plus we are planning to drop by the yards. If we have time, or if we are planning to cut the yards altogether, we might do the WPR from 149 to catch the express.

Good tips, but if we are going to do the entire WPR from 149, that would take quite a time. Plus we are planning to drop by the yards. If we have time, or if we are planning to cut the yards altogether, we might do the WPR from 149 to catch the express.

lol, u dont need to do all the stops.:( Those are suggestions

I'll work something out. I might cut out the yards part, depending on the time I got.

but how will u get a Yard view? Unless u mean passing it via the (5) line, or a view from the street, which i never seen before.(Related to union port)

I heard a few days ago that they're starting to strip the R40Ms and R42s so we might check that out. We'd also get pics of the slants being stripped, and also get pics of new cars, if any are there.

Here's a new plan:

-We are going to take the (2) to 180th Street (intermitten photo ops will be done en route)

-The (5) to Dyre, then to Pelham Parkway.

-Then the SBS to 10th Avenue, or the (1) train stop. Walk to 215th Street for yard pics, take the (1) to 168th, take the (A) to 42nd, then the N/R/W to 5th Avenue for the bus hunting

Here's a new plan:

-We are going to take the (2) to 180th Street (intermitten photo ops will be done en route)

-The (5) to Dyre, then to Pelham Parkway.

-Then the SBS to 10th Avenue, or the (1) train stop. Walk to 215th Street for yard pics, take the (1) to 168th, take the (A) to 42nd, then the N/R/W to 5th Avenue for the bus hunting

How can u take shots up on the (1) at 215th Street Bronx bound side, if there is no Transfer back to Downtown side. All Stations starting at 207 to 242nd doesnt have transfer points, unless you are paying or turning at 242nd end.. Or you mean you will walk to one of guard gates[be aware of the security there, which is crazy, especially pics]

PS- 10th avenue is the (1) Train stop

How can u take shots up on the (1) at 215th Street Bronx bound side, if there is no Transfer back to Downtown side. All Stations starting at 207 to 242nd doesnt have transfer points, unless you are paying or turning at 242nd end.. Or you mean you will walk to one of guard gates[be aware of the security there, which is crazy, especially pics]

PS- 10th avenue is the (1) Train stop

Um, I said we will walk from 207th to 215th. I know there are no crossovers at the other stations. It's a pre Dual Contracts el, what can I expect? Plus the view from the train isn't that great either, the train's always moving. I'm planning to get pics of the yard on ground level. I made that clear.

Guest Charles

Including 57th St for bus hunting? (seeing it will probably be at/near the PM rush when you get there)

Including 57th St for bus hunting? (seeing it will probably be at/near the PM rush when you get there)

Well, we can say "it's pending". If time says that it's going to be hectic over there, we will scrap it and do something else. I mean, the buses could wait. I think some of us will OD at 207. Hey, cars are going. Why not stick around a bit longer?

Interested, Charles? No nukkers for you, by the way.

Guest Charles
Well, we can say "it's pending". If time says that it's going to be hectic over there, we will scrap it and do something else. I mean, the buses could wait. I think some of us will OD at 207. Hey, cars are going. Why not stick around a bit longer?

Interested, Charles? No nukkers for you, by the way.

wow, you still remember that chat?

I'll see. Maybe if I have the time...but 9 AM wow...

wow, you still remember that chat?

I'll see. Maybe if I have the time...but 9 AM wow...

Well that's when the trip starts because we want to make the most of it. If you can't make it at 9AM, call/text us. You can join in at a later time. It's fine with us.

Guys, the trip is tomorrow, if you are going leave your cell number here so that we can contact you.

Unfortunately, Henry contacted me again earlier today with some bad news. Due to another emergency situation involving him, he won't be able to come tomorrow. And since two other members here can't make the trip tomorrow he's deciding to move the new date of the trip to Friday, August 14th, 2009. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Archived