Guess who leaving "American Idol" according to Twiiter? Paula

Shortline Bus

Guess who according to Twitter is leaving American Idol in a salary dispute? Judge Paula Abdul. IMO i think there at least 50-50% chance this is a 'bluff' or game

'American Idol' judge Paula Abdul leaves show, she announces via Twitter

By Cristina Kinon and Richard Huff

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Paula Abdul is gone. The controversial judge ended weeks of speculation Tuesday night by announcing via Twitter that she was leaving "American Idol." Barring a last-minute change of mind, this is the first major shift on the show's Host and Judges since the show began in 2002.

Abdul, who has been part of the show since it started, made the announcement just as judging rounds of the popular series were set to begin.

"With sadness in my heart, I've decided not to return to 'Idol,'" she wrote. "I'll miss nurturing all the new talent, but most of all being a part of a show that I helped from day one become an international phenomenon."

FOX-TV, the network that broadcasts "Idol," and is now re-broadcasted to at least 30 countries worldwide, said through a spokesperson, it wishes the former Los Angeles Lakers cheerleader the best.

"Paula Abdul has been an important part of the 'American Idol' family over the last eight seasons and we are saddened that she has decided not to return to the show." Prior to "Idol," she was also best known as a Pop Star, who had several Hit Singles in the late 1980's.

The stunning announcement, done in bursts of 140 characters online, came after weeks of chatter over Abdul's contract. Her deal expired at the end of last season. She was reportedly seeking $12 million, up significantly from her old contract price of $4 million.

Abdul recently told the Associated Press that she was invited to stay with the show as long as it was on, provided her team could reach terms on a new contract.

Abdul's announcement came on the heels of the official confirmation that first-year judge Kara DioGuardi would join Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson on the show this season.

Also, producers recently signed host Ryan Seacreast to a three-year, $45 million deal to remain on the show and produce other programs.

Since the show launched, Abdul has been a lightning rod for the show. Her often quirky, always effusive, comments to contestants served as a counterbalance to Cowell's often critical and caustic assessment of weaker players.

However, her occasionally oddball remarks on camera, along with wacky activities in interviews, led to ugly speculation of drug or alcohol abuse, which she repeatedly denied.

Outside of "Idol," Abdul starred in a short-run reality series that followed her daily life, and she's got a successful line of jewelry she pitches on the Home Shopping Network.

c)2009 NY Daily News, Inc..

Comments/Reactions?

good riddance paul abdul was a messs on the show anyway she was always high on prescription medication and never critical hell she slept with one contestant and u will never confuse her voice for aretha franklin bye paula

Guest Charles

Also, didn't an obsessed Abdul fan commit suicide or something?

From what I've heard people are 50/50 about Paula's departure. I don't watch Idol often but apparantly she's usually the nicest. so i guess it's good for the producers, bad for the contestants, and split for the viewers.

Hopefully it is one step closer to the end of the show.

I agree 100% this show is overexposed and overrated. I enjoy the first two seasons but i am bored with it. Even with about 20% drop in ratings from 2007-08 season, "AI" is still the #1 entertainment show on television by wide margin.

I personally had no problem with Paula but she did seem 'high' at times especially during the 2005-'07 seasons at time she had the problems w/ the rumors she had a romantic relationship w/ a conestant and the stalking situation.

IMO while Simon is a hard A@@ Judge, the best judge and fair Judgeuntil now was Randy Jackson. At first when "AI" started i hated Simon. Now i kind of like him(Simon) as at times his blunt and rude replies was needed especially in the audition rounds when some of the conestants needed a 'wake up call' and were terrible singers. The odd trio of Randy, Simon and Paula as Judges was another factor in the popularity of "American Idol."

Now it seems barring a last minute suprise that Paula is leaving, it will be intresting if "Idol" ratings stay the same.

Well, I don't mind Paula leaving, at least Simon & Co. are better.

I cant believe the news coverage Paula leaving "Idol" is getting. Just got home (930pm tonight 8/5/09)and watching the news, it was mentioned this morning on CNN,Fox News, NBC's "Today" Showand all of the NYC local newscasts. Not a headline/lead story though.

It a headline on "entertainment news' programs like "ET" "Acess Hollywood and HLN's "Showbiz Tonight' but i am not sure it deserved mention on the regular newscasts. Talk about a story that overblown.:confused:

Archived