Riverline - Princeton Junction and two dead Arrow III's

styckx

Now this part was fun and not expected! My Arrow III set had two cars w/ no power. No lights, no AC running, each end of the cars were open to let air in. I couldn't believe my luck with the car I was on! This train was running 9 minutes late.

IMG_0603-1.jpg

IMG_0604-1.jpg

IMG_0606-1.jpg

IMG_0607-1.jpg

IMG_0608-1.jpg

IMG_0609-1.jpg

Another MLV move i see & RiverLINE looks good! :tup:

Yes, i've seen them have dead in tow EMU's a few times, most recently the last 3 pantographs on an EMU train were down, and it was indeed in service. What they may have been doing in these instances is moving equipment on a scheduled pax move to build another train at morisville 3-4 singles/pairs at a time or what have you. This would cut the need for a diesel to haul them, free up track block space also because you wouldn't be deadheading either. I know the A3's are capable of towing 8 dead units with 4 live units, but aside from extreme circumstances the "dead" ones are kept to a minimum for obvious reasons. These trains may have been deadhead equip moves in the past, and still partially serve that purpose. Interesting stuff & good photos in any case!

- A

Well, on the they were just moving them thing. The set behind and forward of this set were fully powered, lights, and everything. This was just a random odd dead set towards the back of the train, but not the very end.

Enjoyed it though, not often you get to ride the NEC in a make shift open air section :P The sliding side window was even slid open. Which IMO is a serious accident waiting to happen. All it takes is one dummy to stick his head out the window and meet a roaring Acela service "head on".

Oh.. Thanks Kaback for the recommendation of Princeton Junction. Beautiful station and has that "oldie time" feel to it. I liked is 10x better than Hamilton. Never once got the feeling some random NJT rookie cop would appear out of no where with some 9-11 photography stuff :P

Any others like Princeton further north?

So anyway. My first trip on RiverLINE. I think my next days off I will just park at Patco and transfer to the RiverLINE instead. Parking in Camden is annoying, and costs too much.

As for the ride itself. Loved it. The second stop in (after the Aquarium) a single Camden police officer did a ticket check sweep. God that was a mess and almost turned into a fight, very uncomfortable. About 5 people had no tickets, the officer was NOT messing around what so ever. One person started screaming about "being profiled".

Some beautiful scenery along the way and those steep grades coming into Trenton were wild.

The return trip was much nicer, not to sound whatever, but much nicer people aboard this train. Some of the ones on the way up were down right scary and talking about the jail time they've done.

Midway through on this trip 3 NJT police did a ticket check sweep. Much calmer this time, very nice officers. Everyone had their tickets so no drama.

Will take it again. You can't beat the price.

No problem styckx, if your looking just to shoot NJT only I have a ton of places. As for the NEC north until Rahway there is not much going on Edison and Metuchen are nice, and don't have NJT Cops or security usually. New Brunswick and Jersey Ave are nice but the NJT cops, New Brunswick cops and parking enforcement(for Jersey Ave) people are there and can make things uneasy sometimes.

Archived