It's official: Mayor retains control over schools until 2015

Harry

Are you happy that mayoral control over schools has been extended to 2015?  

1. 1. Are you happy that mayoral control over schools has been extended to 2015?

• Yes, it's the only way the schools will continue to improve.
    • No, the mayor wields too much power.
    • I'm not sure.

Gov. Paterson said he signed the bill giving control of city schools back to Mayor Bloomberg Tuesday, ending a months-long battle.

"Within the last hour I have signed the mayoral control legislation," Paterson said at an event at P.S. 208 in Harlem, as Bloomberg looked on with a smile. "I signed the bill the first moment that I saw it."

The governor later said the bill arrived at his Albany office Monday and was brought to his Midtown office Tuesday morning, where he signed it into law, along with 79 other bills.

"I didn't think it needed any kind of public forum," Paterson said at an event to celebrate a $175 million program to give poor children back-to-school money.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/education/2009/08/11/2009-08-11_its_official_mayor_retains_control_over_schools_until_2015_after_gov_paterson_si.html#ixzz0Nz0R5wSW

post-1-13328858071_thumb.jpg

post-1-13328858071_thumb.jpg

nope he lord bloomberg should not have retain control over the school if u call getting a 55 a passing grade giving out credits for passing the same class twice and low morale among the teachers, who have told me that the test scores are cooked and the children still sre not learning as a person who works in the field i see the children cutting school at 10-11 am in the morning i dont think the schools have improved because as a college graduate and someone who took statistics they can be manipulated and thats what bloomberg has done

Well, I am very happy that Mayor Bloomberg gained back control. Schools are more fun, and modern than the old and tired set of standards issued by the Dept. of Ed...

You mean the old Board of Education. There is a difference between the Board of Education and the Department of Education. They aren't the same.

PM me about the difference, thanks.

it will be better if he post it here,since I'll like to know too.

The public school system used to be managed by the Board of Education (made up of seven members appointed by borough presidents and the mayor) and 32 community school boards (whose members were elected). Elementary and middle schools were controlled by the community boards, while high schools were controlled by the Board of Education. In 2002, the New York City Board of Education was abolished and control of the school system was given to the mayor, who began reorganizing the school system. The community school boards were abolished and the Board of Education was renamed the Department of Education and Joel Kline was appointed by Mayor Bloomberg to take control of the Department of Education. All of the new policies and decision making is made by the chancellor versus the old system in which the Board of Education decided in which direction to take the school system. The old Board of Education was decentralized in regards to the offices that were in charge of the schools, with the Department of Education, the 8 old Regions were closed and in their place each Borough got an ISC (Intergrated Service Center); ironically, my office falls under the Staten Island ISC yet we are located in Brooklyn, which took on the responsibilities that the Regions used to have. With the new system, the principals of the schools are now held accountable for the performance of the schools. There is also a new program called "Empowerment Schools" which gives school officials that decide to covert their schools into "Empowerment Schools" more power in running their schools and discretion as to how they spend their school budgets. In exchange for that, the Principals must improve the grades of the schools. With the Department of Education, the school system in my opinion is now more focused on the schooling of the children.

Archived