Feds shut down 'Cash for Clunkers'; set to end Monday, August 24th at 8 p.m.

Harry

The feds announced Thursday that the wildly popular cash-for-clunkers auto trade-in program will shut down at 8 p.m. on Monday.

Dealers predicted a rush to the showrooms this weekend as customers seek to trade in their jalopies for a $3,500-to-$4,500 government rebate on a newer, more fuel-efficient model before the deadline.

President Obama said the one-month program "has been successful beyond anybody's imagination."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2009/08/20/2009-08-20_feds_shut_down_cash_for_clunkers_sent_to_end_.html#ixzz0On1N0YWa

post-1-133288580736_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288580736_thumb.jpg

Naw, it was running out of money & given an extension. 3 billion dollars worth of cash was given out for traded in clunkers, that is a LOT of cars. What is 3 billion divided by 3500 or 4500? :eek:

I will tell you! :cool:

857,141 cars if everyone got the $3,500 deal, closer to 666,000 cars if everyone got the $4,500 deal. Averaging roughly 761,904 new vehicles for old ones. The great news is the same number of cars bought, is now how many fewer older, less safe, less fuel efficient cars are on the road.

Remember, the deal only works if you are trading the old one in for a new car. Since there are a lot of cars in the 13k to 17k price range, 4500 bucks is a seriously large chunk off that price tag, putting new, better cars in affordability range for a lot of people.

Brilliant! :eek:

- A

Naw, it was running out of money & given an extension. 3 billion dollars worth of cash was given out for traded in clunkers, that is a LOT of cars. What is 3 billion divided by 3500 or 4500? :eek:

I will tell you! :cool:

857,141 cars if everyone got the $3,500 deal, closer to 666,000 cars if everyone got the $4,500 deal. Averaging roughly 761,904 new vehicles for old ones. The great news is the same number of cars bought, is now how many fewer older, less safe, less fuel efficient cars are on the road.

Remember, the deal only works if you are trading the old one in for a new car. Since there are a lot of cars in the 13k to 17k price range, 4500 bucks is a seriously large chunk off that price tag, putting new, better cars in affordability range for a lot of people.

Brilliant! :eek:

- A

If i was in better situation(i start work again in 2 weeks as Teacher aide)and not unemployed for the summer i would have traded in my '96 Chevy Lumina sedan myself.:cry:

Too bad almost all car dealers dont offer loans unless you work or in college/grad school full time. Anyhow i agree Obama and his team that created this program gets an "A-plus' grade. Even almost all of the modertate and some consertative members of the GOP not named "Rush" or Glenn Beck' supported this program as well.:tup:

Perhaps they should do it once a year till the auto fleet is all modern & within 4-5 years old. :eek:

Pair it with another program, cash for transit & i think we will finally have the solid innovation that the previous 8 years of (W) suppressed.

- A

For me, I think the Cash for clunckers should run every year from July, 02nd to August 30th. So the earth can have cleaner environments, :o! And Cash for transit? Er, it doesn't work right, :P! Sorry but it is a no-go Metsfan...

It doesn't work right? How would you even know? Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

A: i am not the only person thinking this is a GREAT idea, and B: what makes you, in your all mighty educated expert opinion think it wouldn't be a good idea to get more cars off the road and more people riding transit?

I'd say more, but i value my membership here.

- A

Archived