R142 and R142a's

bentton316

Isnt the (2) and (3) proposed to get the same new tech cars as the (7) (according to the 2010-14 Draft Plan)?

This is the way I see it. R188s are going to the (7)/<7>. There is not going to be a fleet trade where the R62As on that line will go to the (6)/<6> (as cool as it would be though). There are plans to have increased West Side service, so the (1), (2) and (3) will have extra trains. The (2) will probably not get them, because that line is already using R142s, and at the common terminal, where the (5) goes as well, there will need to be a fleet swap, so it's easier for the (2) to become a (5) and vice versa (I can sense carpal tunnel for the workers at Flatbush if the (2) or the (5) even are given R62As. The (2) will stay R142. I can see the (1) with extra and the (3) getting them as well, but this would mean that the (3) would have a mixed package of R62s and R62As. That shouldn't be a biggie, but it's too bad that the cars can't run together because they have different mechanical specs whereas an R32 and an R42 don't and just look different but can run together.

Just remember this: the (6) will most likely be losing some, but not all of their R142As since some will be converted for CBTC use for the (7). This is going to get fairly complicated, as I really don't know what cars will go to the (6) to make up for the missing cars.

Archived