45 years ago today

R33WF

Maybe, but right now, it's not possible. There are not enough trains to reinstate this service pattern, and the (C) would be unbelievably long as the (A). Remember when it went to Bedford Park Boulevard??? The LONGEST route in the system, probably beating the (A).

All local would certainly make it longer than the A. I feel sorry for crews that had to work that line even if it was only 1 run and direction at a time.

Thank you. The R32's are officially the longest running R series in history. I rode the R32's on the (A), (C), and (V) lines today. I even rode on the lowest and higest numbered R32's in service today.

While they are great cars and they car the longest running "R" type, they care not the longest running subway car. The BMT Standards were about 50 years old when they retired. I would be nice htough to see the R32s last that long.

While they are great cars and they car the longest running "R" type, they care not the longest running subway car. The BMT Standards were about 50 years old when they retired. I would be nice htough to see the R32s last that long.

I'm sure if new R160's weren't arriving, the R32's would be kept around a bit longer. I dunno at this point which is cheaper though: buying newer cars in bulk or rehabbing the R32's to last maybe 5+ more years longer. That's the main issue.

Personally of course I'd like the R32's to last a few more years longer, but that's not my decision.

I'm sure if new R160's weren't arriving, the R32's would be kept around a bit longer. I dunno at this point which is cheaper though: buying newer cars in bulk or rehabbing the R32's to last maybe 5+ more years longer. That's the main issue.

Personally of course I'd like the R32's to last a few more years longer, but that's not my decision.

I would say they would stick around a little long if the TA was not trying to get rid of all the old equiment. If the R44s were not bought by the feds, I'm sure they would be going too. At lest the TA is not doing what PATH is doing, replaceing the whole fleet at once.

Since this is a thread about the R32s' 45th year in service, I don't see why I couldn't add a few photos to celebrate this milestone:

I caught these on the (C) at around noon and rode them from Utica Avenue to 14th Street:

R32Ctraininterior.jpg

R32northboundCtrainat14thStreet.jpg

These were taken on the (V) at 3:30 p.m., the first at West Fourth Street, the rest at LES - Second Avenue:

R32southboundVtrainatWestFourthStre.jpg

R32VtrainattheLowerEastSide-SecondA.jpg

R32VtrainattheLowerEastSide-Seco-1.jpg

R32Vtrainrollsign.jpg

And I caught these on the (C) heading downtown, with the final picture being the my favorite:

R32southboundCtrainapproachingRalph.jpg

R32southboundCtrainapproachingRa-1.jpg

R32southboundCtrainatRalphAvenue.jpg

Again, happy birthday to the R32s! These are subway cars that deserve recognition for their service.

I would say they would stick around a little long if the TA was not trying to get rid of all the old equiment. If the R44s were not bought by the feds, I'm sure they would be going too. At lest the TA is not doing what PATH is doing, replaceing the whole fleet at once.

Speaking of PATH, I hope they find a buyer for those 'younger' PA4's. Would be a shame to scrap them when they probably could run a few years more.

Thought is was the Q-types at 66 years old.

They were not a subway car. In 1918 they and other wooden cars were benned from subway use. Also, I was only useing them as an expample and I did not say that they wereTHE longest lasting subway car.

Archived