Question about Boston & Washington DC

FamousNYLover

I have question for both Washington, DC and Boston, MA including MBTA and WMTA.

I am planning to take advantage of MegaBus Promotion with friend in January 2010 if I got recover very well.

I was wondering how much money I should bring for Boston, MA and Washington, DC.

In Boston, I plan to go to galleries at MIT, take advantage of many transit ride as possible to many attractions I could do between hours of MegaBus.

How much does food cost and what is sales tax in Boston?

What is good attractions beside MIT Galleries.

In Washington, DC, I want go to tour of Whitehouse, many museums.

How much does food cost what is sale tax in Washington, DC.

What are other good attractions?

I also plan to take WMTA.

I plan to take picture of my ride on Mega Bus, transit sytem in Boston and Washington, DC with another friend's "Canon IXY DIGITAL 800 IS" with super extreme care.

If anyone familiar with these areas, please give me tip and advice.

This will my first adventure beside CT, NJ, Philadepiha, PA.

Thank you for your cooperation and advise.

Yours truly,

(F)(A)(M)(Q6)(V)(S)(N)(JFK)(L)(V)(E)(R)

here the mass transit info.

In boston their version of the ny (MTA) is called the "T" aka MBTA.

here their website.

http://www.mbta.com

The colleges such as Harvard University and many of the sites in Downtown Boston especially related to John Adams the 2nd American president are good picks to visit.

In washington their mass transit network for that city subway and also nearby Maryland and Virgina towns is called the metro.

http://www.wmata.com

For DC i let Forest Glen make suggestions on tourists spots. personally i like the world famous spots in DC like the white house(President of the United States offices and home while in office) US Captial (home of the US Congress)and Smithson.

The bus ride is about 4-5 hours depending on traffic and if possible if you want time to visit all of the site in DC and Boston, spend night at a hotel.

You could travel between NYC and Washington or Boston if needed same day but you would only have maybe 4-5 hours to sightsee. just my takes.

I visited Boston this year. When I visited Boston I went on a tour of Fenway Park (the Yankees ended their World Series drought because I brought back the curse). I also stopped by Harvard University. I wanted to ride one of the boats through the Charles River but I didn't have enough time.

I visited Washington DC many times. Yuki you'll love the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum and the Smithsonian Museum of American History. Also visit the Smithsonian Zoo. All of the Smithsonian institutions are free. When the weather is nice visit the World War 2 Memorial. It's this large and beautiful fountain. Union Station is nice as well. The International Spy Museum is nice albeit expensive. In order to visit the White House you have to contact (I think) the Senator and get on a waiting list. Don't take pictures of the Pentagon-it's illegal. Have lunch at Pentagon City Mall (if you have time you can head to Tysons Corner Mall). Get an all day pass for $7.80 and ride Metro, the best transit system in North America.

Boston

SN852318.jpg

SN852325.jpg

SN852371.jpg

Washington DC

SN852513.jpg

SN852510.jpg

SN851469.jpg

S6301484.jpg

S6301481.jpg

yuki you aware to be able to 'explore' some time in dc or boston for 1-day you have to leave nyc around 6am at the lastest and be back home by midnight-1am right? The bus roundtrip time to/from nyc is appx. 7-8 hours.

Yes, my mom said it is all right if I go with friend even in late night.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for you help.

I'm going to DC tomorrow with a friend.

I'll sure to take pictures of many buses in DC, maybe MD/VA area around WMATA, well as DC Circulator, Tourmobile, tour bus, points of interest, parks, museums.

Discussion for DC continues here.

Mega Bus Reservation/Thank you for MegaBus Help

If I go to Boston, MA, I will reply to this thread.

Thank you for all your help.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring back old topic,

I think properly next Wednesday, 3 of us will be making reservation for first Bolt Bus to Boston and last MegaBus Back to NY.

We planning to visit MIT/Museum, Harvard University/Museum, well as maybe Franklin Park Zoo, or Paul Revere House, etc.

We want to check out night time pictures.

Beside this attractions, where I should go?

Also, where is good spot to take pics of trains, trolleys, SilverLine?

Good place to eat in Boston and sales tax?

Please tell me and thank you for assist.

I think properly next Wednesday, 3 of us will be making reservation for first Bolt Bus to Boston and last MegaBus Back to NY.

We planning to visit MIT/Museum, Harvard University/Museum, well as maybe Franklin Park Zoo, or Paul Revere House, etc.

Its PROBABLY not PROPERLY

Massachusetts sales tax is 6.25%

Good spot to eat:

Chinese: Gourmet Dumpling House - 52 Beach St. Boston (in Chinatown). Orange Line to Chinatown, then 3 block walk. This place serves traditional chinese dishes, but also many dishes that you're more familiar with...and yes, very good dumplings.

Excellent spot to eat:

Italian: L'Osteria - 104 Salem St. Boston (in the North End). Orange Line or Green Line to Haymarket, then 5 block walk. This place gets crowded so go early; their food is to die for. They also open for lunch.

The North End is also an excellent walking part of the city.

Archived