NABI COMPO?

Eric B

A few years ago, I heard the new GoBus service was supposed to get some of the newly revived NABI COMPO 45'. But now, it seems they are getting only the 416, from what I can see in the order forecast. Like here: http://www.nabiusa.com/news/Bus-business-on-a-roll-9-09-09.pdf

Wikipedia said they had ordered 15 Compo's, but there is no source (Just tagged it with the "{{fact}}" for "citation needed"), and somewhere else I had read before that they were for GoBus.

So has this been changed? I had been waiting for them to start running somehwere around here. I don't know when I'll ever be out West again.

There was a bid out for the contract in the summer of 2008 but I forget which manufacturer said that the bid was specifically made so that NABI gets the contract so that had to be dropped. And also funds never came through to buy the new buses or to develop the Go400.

There was a bid out for the contract in the summer of 2008 but I forget which manufacturer said that the bid was specifically made so that NABI gets the contract so that had to be dropped. And also funds never came through to buy the new buses or to develop the Go400.

I heard that also from a guy i know who works at (NJT) hq in newark that i see on the train from time to time as well. He also said the NABI offering is not a matter of tech specs or weight or anything like that, just $, and they want to order more (as many as $ feasible) for the 6xx, 1-99, and 4xx routes since they have very good acceleration.

I believe about half of the flexibles will be replaced by non-composite NABI, the rest being replaced with newer MCI & articulated models. I am not sure if they plan to get the MCI hybrids or what kinds of seating the new stuff will get, but i'm fairly certain that they will not have as many RTS after all is said & done aside from maybe to help expand routes and/or service all ready handled by NABI & articulated. I guess we'll see by the end of the year what they plan to do with the next budget proposal.

- A

There was a bid out for the contract in the summer of 2008 but I forget which manufacturer said that the bid was specifically made so that NABI gets the contract so that had to be dropped. And also funds never came through to buy the new buses

But they're still getting the 416's, with the total to be 1145, according to the link. Is it that the Compo is more expensive, so there are no funds for the additional cost?

or to develop the Go400.
I thought it was for the 425, I think it is, (Irvington) which is already running, isn't it?

But they're still getting the 416's, with the total to be 1145, according to the link. Is it that the Compo is more expensive, so there are no funds for the additional cost?

I thought it was for the 425, I think it is, (Irvington) which is already running, isn't it?

Yes, NJT is still receiving the 416s. The order for compobuses would've been a totally different order which NJT couldn't get funds for, even after rewriting the specifications for contract bidding. These compobuses would've been for fleet expansion for service on the Go400, which the idea has been dropped for now. Even without the compobuses, NJT might try to get the Go400 off the ground though, but like I said for now the service is not happening.

There is no 425 route, its the 25 you're thinking of. The route in Irvington is the Go25 which runs limited service during the rush hours between Irvington Terminal and Newark Penn Station. I also heard something of NJT putting compobuses on the Go25 but nothing more from there, I don't think that was their intention.

The other Go Bus service running is the Go28 which does have suburban 416s running on it. That route runs from Bloomfield, running through downtown Newark, to Newark Airport ending at the north area of the airport

The other Go Bus service running is the Go28 which does have suburban 416s running on it. That route runs from Bloomfield, running through downtown Newark, to Newark Airport ending at the north area of the airport

Yea, don't forget that it has 2 different routes, which it alternates from both endpoints via broad street station or via rutgers university.

On a side note... When the schedule says every 15 minutes, it's actually 2 one route and 2 the other route in an hour, every 10 minutes might not seem like a lot less of a gap, but waiting 20 vs 30 minutes is what it ends up being. I did not like waiting at summer ave for a half hour for a newark broad st station bound Go28 after they didn't stop at newark broad for some reason. They should, in the interest of not having people freeze at the bus stops in winter, and better mobility for out of school kids * people wanting to go out & do stuff in summer have it be 8 and 12 minute intervals, each side getting a bus every 16 or 24 minutes. Heck 6 and 10 (12 and 20 minute waits each way) would be nice too if they had the $ to get more NABI assigned to the Go28 without impacting other service, composite or not! That being said i'm happy with the NABI performance, and the Go Bus 28 project, and i would like them to expand Go Bus style service between trenton & west trenton train stations 24 hour a day on a 25 minute interval overnight, and increased septa service to go with it for more travel flexibility vs go to 30th st from trenton then go to west trenton, a 2 hour plus trip to go 5-7 miles into yardley etc where people live work and commute using both septa and NJT. I think the Compo idea would be good for that route for 2 reasons, one being it's the capitol, and 2 less wear on the all ready heavily stressed roads from the reduced weight. Ok i'll stop my rambling tangental foaming now. :cool:

- A

Bummer!

Was looking so foraward to having some of those in the NYC area. They looked cool, like a classic bus, while the 416's look a bit awkward in the front.

I guess that model is still something NYC would never try, right?

Bummer!

Was looking so foraward to having some of those in the NYC area. They looked cool, like a classic bus, while the 416's look a bit awkward in the front.

I guess that model is still something NYC would never try, right?

(MTA) has no monies for secksie NABI orders, the (MTA)/(NYCT) priority is cleaning the air via hybrids & CNG & using 'spensive very clean fuel on their diesel only fleet. If they were to get a NABI order it would be the LFW and then it would get transit seats & be plastered with sleepy's ads. :cool::P

- A

Archived