I miss the traction motor whine on the R-62s and the R-36s

Andrew

As to the NTT whining. Newer trains run on alternating current, but the third rail delivers direct current; inverters chop it into frequencies that can be used by the alternating current motors, which is what causes that unique sound.

If you know about Alternate Current (AC) Traction Motors, the current constantly changes direction at a certain rate and the sound you hear is the base current (600v DC) feeding into the induction mechanism (to produce 625v to run the wheels). Note that only AC Traction Motors make special sounds, while DC Traction Motors do not. The whirl you hear in WH DC Motors is a metallurgical quirk (metal grinding sound) and has nothing to do with currents feeding into the motors themselves.

Good to know. Unfortunately, I don't know very much about AC or DC traction motors.

I've only known WH Traction Motors to have a metallurgical quirk when paired with a Westinghouse Propulsion system, which means that you're probably referring to the Bombardier R62A.

Love that sound from the Bombardier R62A.......

Those new trains are just as noisy as the old ones, they have that loud "wooooooooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeee iiiiiiiiiii eeeeeeeeee" when they start moving

Love that sound from the Kawasaki R62......

Let me be honest, I hate it when Westinghouse 1447F or J Traction Motors make that airplane noise. I like the regular, natural noise.

Love that sound from both the R62 and R62A, when they get up to speed........

Archived