I miss the traction motor whine on the R-62s and the R-36s

Andrew

I used to love the whining traction motors on the Kawasaki R-62s and the R-36s,especially the rebuilds from Morrison Knudsen.Going 55MPH on either the East side or West Side IRT with those trains with the screaming whine was one of the best times of my railfanning life.It made up for the loss of the R-9s,which are my favorite subway cars of all time.

Riding the trains today just is not the same.With the quiet motors,the ride is bland,it has lost its personality.

You still get a few whiners on the (3) line. I wish I wrote down that set numbers. Train was so loud, the people were covering their ears, as I was going by on the express tracks...........

There are actually whiner R142s, R142A's, and R62A's. You just got to be lucky to get one of those sets. The whiner R142 (Bombardier) on the (4) is loud, but one of the slowest trains you can get. All that noise, but no action........

What traction motor sound is this like. If it's the whirl, then are you sure the Kawasaki R62 that produces this sound? I've only known WH Traction Motors to have a metallurgical quirk when paired with a Westinghouse Propulsion system, which means that you're probably referring to the Bombardier R62A. On the other hand, you're probably right about the R36s ML (not the ones on the Flushing Line) as they did use all Westinghouse components.

I used to love the whining traction motors on the Kawasaki R-62s and the R-36s,especially the rebuilds from Morrison Knudsen.Going 55MPH on either the East side or West Side IRT with those trains with the screaming whine was one of the best times of my railfanning life.It made up for the loss of the R-9s,which are my favorite subway cars of all time.

Riding the trains today just is not the same.With the quiet motors,the ride is bland,it has lost its personality.

Heh...so pick the (3) line when ya get some seniority! Them GE cars will still be around...:P

Those new trains are just as noisy as the old ones, they have that loud "wooooooooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeee iiiiiiiiiii eeeeeeeeee" when they start moving

SMS is seen by many buffs as a "light overhaul" but in reality is a constant "every few years" sort of things.

All cars are SMS'd when their time comes, including the R62/A's

All I know is that here are IRT cars in my shop.

Those new trains are just as noisy as the old ones, they have that loud "wooooooooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeee iiiiiiiiiii eeeeeeeeee" when they start moving

They are extremely loud. Screaming thunderbox (GP40PH-2cat) loud sans diesel rumble. I often hear them through the sidewalk vents & entranceways.

- A

Let me be honest, I hate it when Westinghouse 1447F or J Traction Motors make that airplane noise. I like the regular, natural noise.

I kinda find the airplane noise interesting. But I share your opinion that the natural sound is better. I think its heard best on the 32s than anything else though.

The Siemens-propulsion R160s seem to be pretty loud when they start and stop. It sounds like they're changing gears.

If you know about Alternate Current (AC) Traction Motors, the current constantly changes direction at a certain rate and the sound you hear is the base current (600v DC) feeding into the induction mechanism (to produce 625v to run the wheels). Note that only AC Traction Motors make special sounds, while DC Traction Motors do not. The whirl you hear in WH DC Motors is a metallurgical quirk (metal grinding sound) and has nothing to do with currents feeding into the motors themselves.

I remember reading either here or on SubChat that the "whine" that is heard from an AC propulsion car isn't exactly coming from the inverters...it's an effect of the metal on the car resonating at the same frequency as the inverters.

Well, to not add another thread, my views usually comes out as:

Maintinence: Just annually or monthly inspection and replacing damaged or unsafe parts.

SMS: Minor Overhaul, to upgrade a railcar to newer floors and to make a railcar into a state of good repair.

Rebuilds: Major Overhaul, SMS + Updating all technologies and some parts to up-to-date conditions.

Although, I do like the whines (if you are referring to the ones the R68s make too) like a "jet engine with plenty of air blowin'“ :)。。。

Well your views are your views we live in a free country and you can have them no matter how right or wrong they may be, but I am talking in terms of what Transit considers these to be defined as, I am NOT expressing my opinion nor asking others to do same on that...

Archived