More Cars?

m7zanr160s

I did some investigation on this subject and came up with some interesting info...

Pelham station's platforms are 850 feet long (85 foot railcar x 10). Larchmont is 835 feet long... Greystone is 680 (8 cars)..... As far as i can tell most could only fit 8-10 cars...

Remember, the NYC was famous for its plethora of stations throughout its system. Add to that, very frequent service with 2-8 cars and you can see why these stations are so short. Some trains were quite longer, in fact some were up to 14 cars long, special trains could even get up to 16. Point being, the NYC's territory never had huge long platforms, because ridership at each station combined along the line never demanded more than 8 cars most of the time.

PRR territory on the other hand was drastically different. PRR carried the bulk of DC-philly & philly to NY traffic, its less busy stations could often have platforms just big enough for 2 car ends to stop for boarding/alighting, while its major stations could accommodate combinations of 2 trains of varying lengths, or one long train of 14-16 cars.

With this simplified description you can begin to see why the PC merger failed. You had 2 major railroads with 2 different ways of doing business and they didn't have a transition period, which i personally believe could have staved off bankruptcy and held up till rail traffic increased years later, allowing re-opening of stations closed to save money and so on. Too late now though. One can only hope pax rail becomes profitable enough to run under its own steam.

- A

Archived