4301 in the spotlight.

metsfan

Also they came from Conrail

(NJT) had a lot of second hand and transferred stuff, the only diesels they have made specifically for them were the PL24AC. It's been an extremely long time since new locomotives were ordered for (NJT), all of the new ones have been made by non-american companies, something that, in the pre-transit age was totally unheard of for the most part.

- A

Also they came from Conrail

Yes they did but they were straight 40's before a rebuild at Juniata to dash two standards for NJT, at this time they were re-geared as well.

Andy, all of NJT's F40PH-2CATS were built as new for Transit as F40s.

Yes they did but they were straight 40's before a rebuild at Juniata to dash two standards for NJT, at this time they were re-geared as well.

that is correct around the time conrail was looking at getting ride of the non dash two geeps and sd40's

I guess that was an expanded order to go with the ones for Amtrak?

And as far as pax gearing, i think they can be used to haul a pax unit with dead prime mover but working HEP in revenue service. I believe they would rather cancel a train than do this but at least it's an option?

- A

They will transfer passengers to another train then dead head the dead train in tow with another unit.

NJT bought their own F40's out right the only units that have any relation to Amtrak's are those that MN bought from Amtrak at Beech Grove and had refurbished at Juniata.

They will transfer passengers to another train then dead head the dead train in tow with another unit.

NJT bought their own F40's out right the only units that have any relation to Amtrak's are those that MN bought from Amtrak at Beech Grove and had refurbished at Juniata.

IIRC most of the MN units were bought/brokered through Railword

Well Railworld owned them for a few years before going to MN as Railworld had a contract to broker/buy up the F40's from Amtrak

I wonder how many F40PH's exist still in service, how many have been rebuilt, not rebuilt, how many got the new cowl etc.

- A

I wonder how many F40PH's exist still in service, how many have been rebuilt, not rebuilt, how many got the new cowl etc.

- A

Well Railworld has sold units to MN and other roads , used some on its North American shortlines, scrapped most of them for the prime movers and traction motors for use on its railroad in Poland

Yes, but the original question had to do with Amtrak units and NJT, like I said these f40's are the only thing Amtrak heritage on the roster and techincally they are MNCR so they don't count not paid for by NJT.

If you want to talk about Railworld units NJT leased a few during the PL42 process and they were garbage.

Yes, but the original question had to do with Amtrak units and NJT, like I said these f40's are the only thing Amtrak heritage on the roster and techincally they are MNCR so they don't count not paid for by NJT.

If you want to talk about Railworld units NJT leased a few during the PL42 process and they were garbage.

IIRC werent the ones leased by NJT sold to MN after and rebuilt by NS or ended up for scrap/lease to AMT . Also the Railworld ones that went to AMT in Montreal were total rebuilt

Nah the NJT Railworld units went out and sat at Juniata for a while, those things were junk like I said, my pal said they needed so much damn oil.

Speaking of AMT they have two Transit F40's and of course the FH's.

No AMT has about 10-12 leased ex Amtrak F40's leased from Titan leasing/Railworld and 2 of the one that went to Juniata ended up going to the MMA shops in Maine to get rebuilt before going to lease to AMT

http://titanrail.com/TITAN_Transit-F40PH-2.htm

Archived