New Vancouver Light Rail for Olympics

Forest Glen

Thursday, Raymond Bachant, president Bombardier Transportation North America, and Gregor Robertson, Mayor of the City of Vancouver, co-hosted the grand opening of the Olympic Line at a celebratory event in Vancouver, British Columbia. The two BOMBARDIER FLEXITY streetcars, showcased on the Olympic Line, arrived in Vancouver on Dec. 7 following a two-month journey by sea from Brussels, Belgium.

Bombardier Transportation and the City of Vanouver are co-sponsors of the 1.8-kilometre Olympic Line where Bombardier is operating two BOMBARDIER FLEXITY streetcars. Free service will be provided 18 hours a day, 7 days a week, between Jan. 21 and March 21.

The vehicles, on loan from the Brussels Transport Company STIB (Société des Transports Intercommunaux de Bruxelles), feature easy access for all passengers, wide doors, large windows, and a beautifully-finished interior, and represent the first 100-percent low-floor street cars in North America. More than 1,500 FLEXITY vehicles are in service around the world.

http://www.metro-magazine.com/News/Story/2010/01/Bombardier.aspx

I wish this was a permanent service. Oh well. At least Vancouver has the Sky Train.

Thursday, Raymond Bachant, president Bombardier Transportation North America, and Gregor Robertson, Mayor of the City of Vancouver, co-hosted the grand opening of the Olympic Line at a celebratory event in Vancouver, British Columbia. The two BOMBARDIER FLEXITY streetcars, showcased on the Olympic Line, arrived in Vancouver on Dec. 7 following a two-month journey by sea from Brussels, Belgium.

Bombardier Transportation and the City of Vanouver are co-sponsors of the 1.8-kilometre Olympic Line where Bombardier is operating two BOMBARDIER FLEXITY streetcars. Free service will be provided 18 hours a day, 7 days a week, between Jan. 21 and March 21.

The vehicles, on loan from the Brussels Transport Company STIB (Société des Transports Intercommunaux de Bruxelles), feature easy access for all passengers, wide doors, large windows, and a beautifully-finished interior, and represent the first 100-percent low-floor street cars in North America. More than 1,500 FLEXITY vehicles are in service around the world.

http://www.metro-magazine.com/News/Story/2010/01/Bombardier.aspx

I wish this was a permanent service. Oh well. At least Vancouver has the Sky Train.

If any of you NYC guys get the chance then go out and check out Transitlink has a great system of buses , trolleys and even a ferry route along with West Coast Express commuter rail line.

• 2 weeks later...
I really like the brown leather seats in those light rail vehicles. I hope it can become a permanent service and Vancouver gets more of these cars. I hope the Bombardier cars Toronto is ordering look that nice inside.

Vancouver doesnt have the funding in place to keep that line

• 5 months later...

Archived