R143 Question

trainfan22

2) Wouldn't it just be cheaper to build a frame vs. building a whole subway car (including buying the same parts all over again)

Those are the only things I can think of right now.

NO, that is the point. You will be paying to have a subway car dismantled (which takes a lot of time), then you will be paying to have a frame built and delivered. Then you will be paying to have the subway car reassembled which also takes time. And there is no "volume discount" because you are doing this as a one-off thing for ONE subway car.

Like I said, simply not worth it.

NO, that is the point. You will be paying to have a subway car dismantled (which takes a lot of time), then you will be paying to have a frame built and delivered. Then you will be paying to have the subway car reassembled which also takes time. And there is no "volume discount" because you are doing this as a one-off thing for ONE subway car.

Like I said, simply not worth it.

True. I forgot about the whole volume pricing thing. They could use it as a spare parts train that case, just like what happened with the 110B's.

@GC: Really?!?! I thought (MTA) and short-sighted go hand-in-hand like twins attached at the hip. :P These are the guys who rehabbed the IRT redbirds only to dump them in the Atlantic months later.

Heh :)

yeah, makes you wonder what they are thinking at times. Such a waste and inefficency.

Archived