R143 Question

trainfan22

This is a dumb question, but why can't they build a new R160 car to replace 8277? I heard the R160 is supposed to be compatible with the r143s (unverified) and on nycsubway.org it says there are going to be 53 cars for service increases instead of some number divisible by 4, like 52.

This is a dumb question, but why can't they build a new R160 car to replace 8277? I heard the R160 is supposed to be compatible with the r143s (unverified) and on nycsubway.org it says there are going to be 53 cars for service increases instead of some number divisible by 4, like 52.

Single units? or more 4 car sets, that add up to 13, 4 car sets, to make 52?

There was something about that going on that the MTA was going to get an R160 to replace 8277 and also maybe one for 8278 but then that died out.

Also, I'm hearing different things about the compatibility between the R143s and R160s......

But hopefully someone with better knowledge (and I mean people on the inside) can clear that up.

• 1 year later...

So what's good? So, those three cars from the set are just gonna just remain in the yard for good? I was wondering if Kawasaki was gonna to address 8277 once the R160B order is finished. That was gonna be my question in a new thread, but I found this one. I would sure hate to see perfectly good cars go to waste. I figure they'd do something that wouldn't cost as much as building a brand new car, altogether. I mean the parts are all there, and the damage wasn't catastrophic (photo-wise). I guess that's the disadvantage (although, the pros probably far outweigh the cons) of many-car sets. One gets dinged, the others are finished (on hiatus) regardless of condition. I saw on nycsubway.org an R42 (4461) that had really bad damage, rebuilt into a slant (4260); looked like nothing short of a miracle. What gives here?

Damn that sucks if they have been scrapped.They weren`t even that old,your telling me that they couldn`t be sent back to Kawaski for an overhaul/Refurb?B)

No, 3 of the 4 cars are sitting at 207th Street while the car that tried to fly went back to Kawasucki to get rebuilt or to see if it could be.

Ok from what I've reard and from what I already know, there was only 1 SET (8277-8280) that was involved in the accident (8277 being the head car). 8277 is back at Kawasaki for possible reapirs but nobody knows what's going on with it right now. The other cars (8278, 8279, & 8280) are sitting at 207 St doing nothing but gathering dust.

Here's an idea that I had brewing for a while now...what if they made an extra R160 car as the new 8277 and upgrade the other 3 cars to make it compatible? I mean its not like they're upgrading the entire fleet but only 3 cars that have been doing nothing but slowly wasting away

Here's an idea that I had brewing for a while now...what if they made an extra R160 car as the new 8277 and upgrade the other 3 cars to make it compatible? I mean its not like they're upgrading the entire fleet but only 3 cars that have been doing nothing but slowly wasting away

That would require alot of money to do, money that the TA does not have.

Ok from what I've reard and from what I already know, there was only 1 SET (8277-8280) that was involved in the accident (8277 being the head car). 8277 is back at Kawasaki for possible reapirs but nobody knows what's going on with it right now. The other cars (8278, 8279, & 8280) are sitting at 207 St doing nothing but gathering dust.

I have to agree, I don't understand why the R160s are so different from the R143s. I mean they were supposed to have been compatable. So much for that plan. Worse comes worse, i guess those 3 cars become parts or replacements [if some other car gets damaged somehow] only B)

Archived