Residents Evacuated After Freight Train Derails In Queens

Trainspotter

Residents Evacuated After Freight Train Derails In Queens

NY1 News

queens_derailment.jpg

Photo by: MustangFan424

Some Queens residents were evacuated from their homes Friday afternoon after a freight train derailed.

Three cars of a seven-car freight train came off the track just before 9:30 a.m. near Otto Road and 68th Place in the Glendale section of Queens.

According to the FDNY, one of the derailed cars was a tanker carrying propane, but as of Friday evening there was no word that any hazardous material leaked from the train. Officials say the evacuation was just a precautionary measure and residents have since returned to their homes.

No injuries were reported.

The cause of the incident is under investigation.

Train service between Myrtle and Metropolitan Avenue was briefly disrupted.

I was on the last Mikey train BTW. I was coming from Chambers street from work and i called my dad to let him know i was headed home and he told me what happened. I knew they would stop M service because the trains pass right over the freight train tracks going into Met. When we got to fresh pond road, 2 district 33 transit cops stopped the train and gave the signal to "Stop And Stay" with their flashlight to the T/O and the 2 cops came on the train, T/O have the single Buzz to keep the train doors open and the T/O dumped the train. Lucky I made it to Fresh Pond where I had to get off. If I would of waited or got down to the station late I would of been in trouble lol.

Archived