The future NYC Subway

@MTR Admiralty @MegaBus Thanks! I put an insane amount of time and energy into this stuff.

I'm flattered that it's so well done it reminds me of my own work. …except I do them in Publisher. I've made an assortment of preconfigured graphics parts to attach together to maek a complete track diagram, but Publisher doesn't handle rotated graphics very well because they do not snap to other endpoints. I've worked with Illustrator often and it's powerful, but I can't manage objects with as much ease as in Publisher.

• 3 weeks later...

I've updated the geographical map to try and better differentiate the differences. I have the proposed new services as dashed lines and I even added lines for existing service to be eliminated (basically elevated lines in Brooklyn). I showed the original to some friends and they didn't know the current system as well as us. I am thinking of doing the same for the diagram as well.

http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/gmaps/fnyc/

I've updated the geographical map to try and better differentiate the differences. I have the proposed new services as dashed lines and I even added lines for existing service to be eliminated (basically elevated lines in Brooklyn). I showed the original to some friends and they didn't know the current system as well as us. I am thinking of doing the same for the diagram as well.

http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/gmaps/fnyc/

I love it!

Don't forget though, technology is much more different now. Deep boring is more preferable to cut and cover, especially in very built up areas. And with China pumping several subway lines a month, prices to procure the materials jumped. You also have politics, bureaucracies and safety guidelines. 2004 was not the same as 1904, unfortunately.

They were built with domestic materials because it was too expensive to ship from Europe and China wasn't making steel (on an industrial scale). It isn't as simple as "lets make it in America!" You really want to make things in America then you need to abolish unions and make wages ridiculously low to compete with countries like China (I'm not suggesting we do that).

They were built with domestic materials because it was too expensive to ship from Europe and China wasn't making steel (on an industrial scale). It isn't as simple as "lets make it in America!" You really want to make things in America then you need to abolish unions and make wages ridiculously low to compete with countries like China (I'm not suggesting we do that).

America, at that time, had an impressive steel industry. We don't need foreign steel. They need OUR steel.

Archived