Garbage-truck driver charged in midtown crash that killed two tourists

Trainspotter

Garbage-truck driver charged in midtown crash that killed two tourists

A seizure-prone garbage-truck driver who skipped his medication was charged Wednesday with striking and killing two British tourists on a midtown sidewalk, cops said.

A dramatic video of the crash emerged Wednesday showing the garbage truck hopping the curb and barreling along the W.35th St. sidewalk Tuesday night just seconds after a bespectacled pedestrian strolls off camera.

Full story: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - February 14, 2008

This is why it is hard to get a CDL, and companies are unwilling to hire those with "conditions". They can't force one to take their medication, so they take a risk, hoping you do what you suppose to do. Now they will be sued, but still can't really discriminate on who they hire. No win situation. Only diabetes is the thing that will disqualify one, unless you get it after being hired, then most will assign you to do non driving/operating vehicle duties.

That's shocking. To think they came here to visit, and ended up dying. What a tragedy.

We had a similar episode here in my neighborhood about 7 years ago - a family that had just moved here from Ecuador and lived on my block. They'd only been in America for a week, and their 8-year-old son was killed after being run over by a school bus while walking to his first day of school.

That's shocking. To think they came here to visit, and ended up dying. What a tragedy.

We had a similar episode here in my neighborhood about 7 years ago - a family that had just moved here from Ecuador and lived on my block. They'd only been in America for a week, and their 8-year-old son was killed after being run over by a school bus while walking to his first day of school.

WHAT?!?

Damn thats really awful to hear. Family came over for better opportunities and had to bury their 8 y/o son after being there a week.

Archived