Rev Jesse Jackson leds protest for more stimulus money for mass transit

Shortline Bus

The Rev. Jesse Jackson joined demonstrators demanding more federal dollars for mass transit outside Penn Station Wednesday.

Jackson teamed with local transit workers, environmentalists and politicians, including Rep. Charles Rangel (D-Harlem), in calling on the feds to loosen purse strings for subways and trains.

The civil rights leader and former presidential candidate told about 100 demonstrators at the rally that federally funded mass-transit projects would spur job growth in places where times are tough.

"We need new rail. That steel can be made in Birmingham," Jackson said. "We need new trains and buses. That can be made in Detroit."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/04/01/2010-04-01_jesse_pushes_for_fed_transit_dollars.html#ixzz0jrD53yhc

post-3473-133288581712_thumb.jpg

post-3473-133288581712_thumb.jpg

The Rev. Jesse Jackson joined demonstrators demanding more federal dollars for mass transit outside Penn Station Wednesday.

Jackson teamed with local transit workers, environmentalists and politicians, including Rep. Charles Rangel (D-Harlem), in calling on the feds to loosen purse strings for subways and trains.

The civil rights leader and former presidential candidate told about 100 demonstrators at the rally that federally funded mass-transit projects would spur job growth in places where times are tough.

"We need new rail. That steel can be made in Birmingham," Jackson said. "We need new trains and buses. That can be made in Detroit."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/04/01/2010-04-01_jesse_pushes_for_fed_transit_dollars.html#ixzz0jrD53yhc

i hope that they give the mta a bailout....so we can finaliy upgrade, we are so behind compared to other states... and this will create more jobs in transit...

As i stated before, IMO from the news i read a bailout from Washington is the last and only hope now to prevent the 1st set of doomsday 'light' cuts with the (MTA).

Off topic for second. Albany is not likely to help this year, especially this is a huge election year with almost all of the statewide seats from Governor to the US Senate up for re-election. These elected officals up there even if they grant a (MTA) bailout again could cost them their jobs.

I don't always agree with Rev. Jackson but on this issue i think he is dead on this one. Hopefully the current Adminstartion can give at least a 1-time only bailout to prevent most or all of the planned cuts very soon.:eek:

This is all a game to these politicians. And if they end up re-elected it's because their gimmicks fooled people well enough to get back in. Either way we the people lose and until we start getting someone who takes the issues of the people seriously we'll never progress. Least that's how I see it.

This is all a game to these politicians. And if they end up re-elected it's because their gimmicks fooled people well enough to get back in. Either way we the people lose and until we start getting someone who takes the issues of the people seriously we'll never progress. Least that's how I see it.

well said. That why i lay part of the blame of the current (MTA) fiscal crisis on the voters of NYC and the (MTA) region as well. They keep re elect these idiot political reps to Albany and this is what happens. So hopefully this November it's time to clean house in the NY state captial.:mad:

Archived