Weights

Jayjay1213

I am awful with the model designations on the subways, so bare with me here. Currently running on the F line are the R160's? What was the model before they showed up, the ones with the yellow neon route sign?

My actual question though is, what are the weights on those cars. I have lived most of my life around the block from the elevated F line and noticed immediately by sound when the R160's showed up. They seem to be louder due to weight then the older models. Am I correct in that statement or are my ears deceiving me?

Thank you!

I am awful with the model designations on the subways, so bare with me here. Currently running on the F line are the R160's? What was the model before they showed up, the ones with the yellow neon route sign?

My actual question though is, what are the weights on those cars. I have lived most of my life around the block from the elevated F line and noticed immediately by sound when the R160's showed up. They seem to be louder due to weight then the older models. Am I correct in that statement or are my ears deceiving me?

Thank you!

Ok here`s how it goes.The model with the "neon yellow lights"Is the R46 made by Pullman-Standard 1975-1979.Now if you are talking about noise from an elevated point of view,it all really sounds the same on elevated structures.Now from a technical view in terms of Propulsion noise,yes there is a difference.:)Here`s your bonus answer of the day.The R46 is actually heavier than the R160...

Pullman-Standard R46-91,000 Lbs(A car) 86,670(B car)

Kawasaki/Alstom R160 -85,200 Lbs(A and B car)

Ok here`s how it goes.The model with the "neon yellow lights"Is the R46 made by Pullman-Standard 1975-1979.Now if you are talking about noise from an elevated point of view,it all really sounds the same on elevated structures.Now from a technical view in terms of Propulsion noise,yes there is a difference.:)Here`s your bonus answer of the day.The R46 is actually heavier than the R160...

Pullman-Standard R46-91,000 Lbs(A car) 86,670(B car)

Kawasaki/Alstom R160 -85,200 Lbs(A and B car)

But a train of 160s as a whole is heavier because it's 10 cars (852,000 lbs) versus an 8 car R46 train (91,000•4 + 86,670•4) = 710,680 lbs

Thanks for the answers!!

As for the noise, I was referring to the elevated noise. They seem to make more noise in my house, more bass I guess you can say, then the R46's. Maybe it was because I was just so used to the R46's :cool:

But a train of 160s as a whole is heavier because it's 10 cars (852,000 lbs) versus an 8 car R46 train (91,000•4 + 86,670•4) = 710,680 lbs
Your right,but from above they don't sound any different,but I should have did the overall math.The R46 does have less components being that there are no high tech components compared to the R160.Also take into account rush hour crowds,where an R46 can fit more passengers than the 160`s

Jayjay is right though; the R160s are the loudest revenue cars in the system, IMO. At 34th-Herald Sq, when I'm waiting for an (N) with my ipod on, I can hear my music when an R46 or R68 goes through the station, but can barely hear anything when an R160 clamors through.

Thanks for the answers!!

As for the noise, I was referring to the elevated noise. They seem to make more noise in my house, more bass I guess you can say, then the R46's. Maybe it was because I was just so used to the R46's :cool:

Just a silly thought, but maybe another reason is that there are more wheels spaced closer together?

Just a silly thought, but maybe another reason is that there are more wheels spaced closer together?

Length may play a role in the level of noise when it comes to the dimensions between 2 sets of bogies.Similar to an car wheelbase.The longer the wheelbase,the smoother the ride.Also you have to also take inot account,the type of trackbed the car is riding on like a balast bed with rocks vs cement.

Archived